Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, what is the healthiest all-natural, cruelty-free cat food? I've been reading about cat/dog food companies who research their new products, and in the process abuse the animals their using. I want to slowly switch over my cats' food because I feed them one of the brands that was mentioned in this article. I need a food for full-grown, slightly overweight cats. Any help?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
If your kitty is overweight, I would add wet food to their diet and cut back on the dry (it has worked wonders for me - my cats have lost between 4-6 lbs each). I am feeding Innova, Wellness and Eaglepack. As far as I know, these are cruelty free and have very good ingredients.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Are cats are very happy and healthy on Wellness. We feed both the wet and dry. Also Innova sometimes.

My dog was on California Natural for years and did very well on it. It came highly recommended to us by the owners of a doggy all natural gourmet bakery/boutique. So, I assume the cat food would be just as good. :lol:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Paul Newman's Organic is A+ over here, Wellness, Felidae and Wysong are also excellent.

Edit: I forgot to add Prairie, it's a Nature's Variety product. We've only been using it for 1 month, very excellent, with a nice gravy they all like.

·
Registered
628 Posts
From what I know, Peta contacted hundreds of pet food companies asking which do that to the animals. They made a list of which companies responded and said they don't do that. The only company that I recognized on the list was Natural Balance. You can view the list here

http://www.iamscruelty.com/res.asp

Take care,
Abhay

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I have yet to try Wysong, but I have read on numerous occasions that Wysong does not even participate in feeding trials because it results in animals being caged for long periods of time and they don't believe in that.

Wysong seems to come highly recommended in this forum, you may want to start there!

·
Registered
238 Posts
F.Y.I -
I emailed Natura (makers of Innova, California Natural and Healthwise) not too long ago regarding the animals they do feeding trials on and was satisfied with their response. The feeding trials are done right at their plant to ensure that the animals are not mistreated and are adopted out when the trials are finished while they animals are still young and have a good chance of being adopted. They sent me lots of info on the care and treatment of these animals as well as photos.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
That's great news. Funny you did that, because I sent them an e-mail about an hour ago! Great minds think alike.

I'm very satisfied with that answer too. Quite frankly, they have to do feeding trials...how else would they know? Someone has to eat it eventually, but there is a proper way to hand situations like this and if that was their answer, I think it's a pretty good one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
imatarb said:
I use Wysong, too, but only as a supplement to either Felidae or Nutro. Dr. Jean mentioned that the nutrients in Wysong aren't enough to support healthy development on its own, so it should be used in conjunction with something else.

See this thread:

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6962

Lisa :)
Its only the "All Meat" Wysong cans though. There are other Wysong canned formulas that are complete and balanced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts