Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a drink of cola has aug 14 on it does that mean the end of august or midnight july 31st 2014?

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Huh?

First of all, with something like cola I don't think you have to be that exact or concerned. Now if it was cottage cheese, then you'd have an issue lol.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Those dates are *usually* a sell by date. Most products last longer, some last extensively longer, but it's a general guideline on when to throw something away. It really depends on the product.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
They've opened cans of food from the Second World War and found them still perfect so I don't think you need to panic!

It's odd really how we have become so dependent on "use by" dates - when you buy (or grow) fresh veg it doesn't come with a date but once there is a bit of plastic around it....... Sae thing if you forage stuff or gather your own free range eggs.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
The soda I'm drinking right now has June 15th as its expiration date. It's fine.

I eat eggs sometimes a month after their expiration dates. Or more...

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I knew someone would pounce on that. Good thing I didn't add that it was 2013...

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
My experience is that diet soda past the expiration date has a funny taste...even near the expiration sometimes isn't good. Won't make you sick, but the taste is off enough that I won't drink it. Non-diet past the expiration is fine.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I was a little annoyed when I saw the expiration date, considering I bought it last week. grrrrr

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Marie, Is that your June 15 2013 expiration one?!!:D
There has to be a "law" about selling expired goods!!;)

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I was joking about the "2013" part. :grin: I might have bought this 12-pack back in June (I buy 4 at a time when they're on special), but even then, the date should have been beyond two months. No matter, it was the last one with that date, and it tasted fine.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Diet Mt. Dew, baby!!!

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
My experience is that diet soda past the expiration date has a funny taste...even near the expiration sometimes isn't good. Won't make you sick, but the taste is off enough that I won't drink it. Non-diet past the expiration is fine.
Was at some college function once and they served diet soda that was 2 years out of date!! TWO YEARS. It was the nastiest stuff I'd ever tasted.

I normally adhere to expired dates, but generally ignore "best by" dates for up to a couple months. I for one would never eat soup that was 4 years old. Just sayin. :cool

1 - 18 of 18 Posts