Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Befor I even get a kitten, I would like to have all the supplies ready and everything organized and in order before I get one. What is the best brand of food to get for a kitten just bought from a breeder?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
find out what the kitten has been fed on previously and use that... It will give them a sense of normaility and then the new home won't seem as stressful. Also find out what type of litter the kitten is used to. If neither of these suit you long term youcan change them gradually after the kitten has settled in.

Hayley x x

·
Registered
118 Posts
RarePuss said:
David, the best food is what the breeder was feeding them! Otherwise, they'll almost always have diarreah and all kind of other problems.

good luck! :)
I totally disagree. I finally ripped my kitten out of the hands of the breeder and thank God I did. I sat quietly while she told me how high quality a certain brand of dry kibble she was feeding them was (NOT!!!), and how *once in a while* she would feed her cats canned food (9lives -- eww) and how I should leave food out all the time (NOT!!!), etc., I barely held myself together, I wanted to say "listen, lady, you're a breeder, but I know 10x more than you do in terms of nutrition." But I thanked her, got my precious kitty and left.

Very first thing I put in front of him at home was a raw mix of chicken quarters, bones, heart and liver, all ground, added a tiny bit of psyllium, salmon oil, kelp and B complex. He wolfed it down like he had never even eaten anything else in his life. His first stool was firm, and his runny eye cleared up in only 3 days on this diet.

So, YES, do feed him whatever your breeder was, IF you agree with her! But nothing bad will happen to your kitten if you won't. Since a lot of breeders either don't know about proper nutrition or don't care, research as much as you can. The most important thing - learn why dry food is so bad and why only the highest quality canned food is OK to give, but above all, why your cat should be fed an all-raw diet if at all possible. I thought it'd be a hassle, but the very first time I made a huge batch, it only took me an hour, including cleanup, and the cost is about 1/3rd of what decent canned food costs.

Search the net for "natural cat" or "raw diet cats" or "barf diet" and you should find a lot of information. www.catnutrition.org is a very good site to read, although it is generally agreed that the recipe posted there is over-supplementing a bit.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
My breeder recommended feeding Iams and Science Diet. Ewww! I was on the road to setting my kitty up for a food allergy probably as I have the same problem with my Peekaboo. I am NOT doing that again. She's on Wellness canned and loves it. I would recommend any premium canned food. Either feed it 100% of the time or 50% of the time. I actually would prefer to feed it 100% of the time but my Peekaboo won't eat as much as he should and I'm giving him some dry to fatten him up.

If you start out feeding canned you will not have a finicky eater (from my experience). Don't start out with fish flavors as the main ingredients in cat foods, this can cause urinary tract infections (and finicky eaters). Start out with chicken, turkey or flavors like that. Put the cat on a feeding schedule (in the morning and evening).

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hi David,

I'm by no means an expert, but I would start your kitten off with the food the breeder was feeding him. If it's a good quality food keep feeding it, but if it's not gradually switch him over to a high-quality food.

·
Registered
983 Posts
genEus said:
RarePuss said:
David, the best food is what the breeder was feeding them! Otherwise, they'll almost always have diarreah and all kind of other problems.

good luck! :)
I totally disagree. I finally ripped my kitten out of the hands of the breeder and thank God I did. I sat quietly while she told me how high quality a certain brand of dry kibble she was feeding them was (NOT!!!), and how *once in a while* she would feed her cats canned food (9lives -- eww) and how I should leave food out all the time (NOT!!!), etc., I barely held myself together, I wanted to say "listen, lady, you're a breeder, but I know 10x more than you do in terms of nutrition." But I thanked her, got my precious kitty and left.

Very first thing I put in front of him at home was a raw mix of chicken quarters, bones, heart and liver, all ground, added a tiny bit of psyllium, salmon oil, kelp and B complex. He wolfed it down like he had never even eaten anything else in his life. His first stool was firm, and his runny eye cleared up in only 3 days on this diet.

So, YES, do feed him whatever your breeder was, IF you agree with her! But nothing bad will happen to your kitten if you won't. Since a lot of breeders either don't know about proper nutrition or don't care, research as much as you can. The most important thing - learn why dry food is so bad and why only the highest quality canned food is OK to give, but above all, why your cat should be fed an all-raw diet if at all possible. I thought it'd be a hassle, but the very first time I made a huge batch, it only took me an hour, including cleanup, and the cost is about 1/3rd of what decent canned food costs.

Search the net for "natural cat" or "raw diet cats" or "barf diet" and you should find a lot of information. www.catnutrition.org is a very good site to read, although it is generally agreed that the recipe posted there is over-supplementing a bit.

Hope this helps. :)
This is your personal experience with your breeder :( I'm sorry you had to 'rip the kitten out of her hands' and why you bought from her in the first place is what concerns me.

My breeder was excellent in the way she raised and fed all her cats and kittens, therefore, as i'd suggest, please start off at least initially with what the breeder was doing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
RarePuss said:
This is your personal experience with your breeder :( I'm sorry you had to 'rip the kitten out of her hands' and why you bought from her in the first place is what concerns me.

My breeder was excellent in the way she raised and fed all her cats and kittens, therefore, as i'd suggest, please start off at least initially with what the breeder was doing.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound offensive or anything... But I still stand by my statement that it is not always best to feed the kitten the food that the breeder was feeding because, as I had said, a lot of the time the breeders won't know more than you.

As to why I had gotten my guy from this particular breeder is a very long story, and even though I disagree with her feeding practices greatly (pretty much the most important part of your pet's health) and I know that unfortunately her gorgeous cats will have health problems when they grow older -- still, her kittens look strong and healthy, and they're not being fed crappy food for *too* long before I took mine home ... that's all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts