Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using Swheat Scoop for my two kittens..
It doesn't control odour as much as I like..
Which is the best litter in terms of odor control and maintenance..?..
What do you think about Tidy Cat..?..Or Fresh Step..?..
Those are the two most common in my part of the world.. :D

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
What makes a good litter is a very subjective and individual thing. I've had friends say they love a particular litter and I've used it and hated it. Your cats also get to 'voice' their opinion as well. I've had litters that I liked and they hated. I think odor control is number one for all of us, but after that is less dust more important to you than tracking? But some people are willing compromise odor control for flushability because the box is in the bathroom and they just scoop right into the toilet whenever they go in.

So while we can all make suggestions, they only way to really know is to try it for yourself.

But my opinion is: If you don't care about dust, Ever Clean has awesome odor control. But I got tired of dragging heavy clay litter up the stairs and the dust became overwhelming when I went to open topped boxes. For a corn based litter I like Nature's Miracle; good odor control, lightweight, no dust, does track a lot but I can live with that. I've found an alternative that is supposed to be the same formula as NM but branded specifically for Walmart called Fresh Results and it seems to be the same stuff, but almost half price. So that's what I'm using now.

·
Banned
439 Posts
If you are a Target shopper, the two best deals there are;

Tidy Cat Scoop - 35|38lbs for $14 on sale
dense grains, low dust & tracking, clay litter, neutral smell, easy flush,
but can break up into smaller parts while scooping.
come in a recyclable plastic resealable tub

A&H Super Scoop - 28lbs for $10 on sale
light grains, average dust & tracking, clay litter, odd smell, average flush,
but holds leaving balls together well while scooping
comes in a hard cardboard box

I call the store weekly and ask for the pet supply department
to check for sales prices, as they are not always in the circular.
both go on sale on alternating weeks every Month or two.

Target also has;
Fresh Step Cat Litter - 28lbs for $10 on sale
so maybe I'll give that a try when I run low
since so many people here seem to like it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Personally I use fresh step. Everything clumps together great the odor control is awesome. Dust isn't to much of a problem for me...

People always seem to ask me where the cat litter is and when I tell them they seem amazed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've tried many different varieties over the years with our cat. I didn't like any of the litter that was in pellet form, such as Yesterday's News & Feline Pine. It wasn't easy to clean, and I wondered about how the cat felt with his paws on them. I tried World's Best Cat Litter, and although it does clump very well, I just couldn't stand the smell of the litter (ever been inside a horse barn, that's how my house smelled) and it got all over the house. I saw it on my couch, bed, kitchen floor... and the box was in the bathroom!

My favorite over the years was Fresh Step. Pleasant scent(very strongly perfumed), great odor control, clumped well. Also the Arm & Hammer brand of cat litter works well too and it among the cheaper ones available. It has an okay smell, not as strong as the Fresh Step. Doesn't clump as well, still works though.

I'm now using Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra clumping litter. It works amazing, is unscented (which is great for the cat), has great odor control, low dust, haven't noticed much of any tracking & it clumps nice and tight. It was $17 for a 40 pound bag at PetsMart, so not too bad considering it's 40 pounds worth. So that would be what I would recommend! :D

[edit]
I wanted to add, that if you have kittens, it's best to use non clumping litter with them as they tend to play a lot in their boxes. Try and find something unscented if you can, especially if the litter box has a top on it. ;)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I'm also using Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra clumping litter. I had used it earlier this past summer, and didn't like it then, but for some reason I decided to give it another go. This time, I'm really liking it. I was using Ever Clean, and once it hit $19 a box, I decided it was time to switch.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I use Fred's store brand clumping cat litter. It has great odor control. is not too dusty, and lasts an amazingly long time. Between the way Arianwen and I manage the litter boxes and litter use, a single jug of the stuff lasts about a month. That is between two medium sized litter boxes. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
ive tried clumping litter of all sorts and could still smell the urine and poo. i was trying to figure out what i was doing wrong because so many people have no problems with it.

when i moved to dc i got one of those johnny boy disposable litter bins until my cat cats supplies came in by mail. it is a slightly ugly gray recyclable bin and came with clay litter. i was unsure at first. my cat had no problem using it. and by the end of the week, i realized i didnt smell her poo or urine. i was afraid she wasnt using it!!!

lo and behold she was, and it even wasnt a closed bin and i couldnt smell it at all. so i went online and bought a 20lb bag of johnny boy clay litter for 4 bucks at petco and im awaiting it now. petco is having a huge sale by the way......

i did notice that few clay pellet thingys stuck to the poo, but the poo dried up fast. she did manage to dig out some dry poo and knocked it out of the bin but once her covered litter box came in we had no problems. i dont know how but those pellets eat the smell up quick so my cat, at the time, was more willing to use the toilet covered instead of uncovered.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have used Swheat Scoop. It's biodegradable, non-toxic, non-chemically made, and toilet flusheable. Though, it doesn't have strong scent, and doesn't scoop as well as those that are chemically-made: Well, maybe that's actually a good thing, since it will not irritate the cat with the strong scent, and it will not poison the environment with its chemicals.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I like Feline Pine myself. I prefer to flush waste and I never really liked the idea of flushing clumps, plus carrying them to and fro to the toilet was a chore. Feline Pine is the only flushable non-clumping litter I found that I felt did a really good job of controlling the pee odor. Poop odor not as much, because my ladies aren't big on covering, but I decided I could live with scooping the poop quickly in exchange for low pee odor.

I still try to shake all the big litter bits off before I remove and flush, just in case.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like Yesterday's News. It is made from recycled newspaper and comes in a pellet form. I think that some people don't like it because the pellets do make it more difficult to scoop. They don't fall through a scooper as easily, so you sort of have to dig around for the poop, and it is more difficult to scoop the urine than it would be using a clay clumping litter. However, the most important factors to me are low dust, low tracking, and low price, so for me Yesterday's News is the best deal. There is almost no dust, the pellets do not track all over the house (although a few do spill outside of the box when he jumps out), and it is only about $8.00 for a 13 lb bag. It is kind of annoying to keep clean, but the smell is generally maintained (although I haven't had a problem with litter box odor using any litter), and for me the other factors make it worth it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I recently switched from World's Best Cat Litter, which had gotten increasingly dusty (and even more expensive!) to Dr. Elsey's. Best clay litter I've ever used. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts