Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for advice on the best "dust free" clumping litter. I have two indoor cats and currently use Fresh Step. However, the dust is terrible. It covers everything in the room I put the litter box in.

What would you suggest that clumps good, and is dust free?

·
Banned
422 Posts
Cat Attract clumps very well, but it is very dusty, as I have found out. Of course, I'm only on my first cat, so I really can't compare it to any other litter.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Dr Elsy's Precious Cat. I used to use fresh step as well, but the dust and the perfume started bothering me. Love this new litter! Much less dust and no gross fragrance

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Keeli! It's funny, I was thinking of starting a similar thread! I also have two older kittens, so they use their boxes often enough for me to consider about their litter.

I've used only two types of scoopable clay, one being PetCo's brand (unscented), and the other Dr. Elsey's ultra precious (blue bag). Dr. Elsey's was much less dusty, especially when pouring new litter out from the bag. One of my cat sneezes every once in a while, so I think I may repurchase this again. I also don't like inhaling dust particles myself when scooping/pouring litter. Watch this link:

I've also heard of a brand called "Integrity" which I've yet to try. They make several types, such as the traditional, scoopable clay and natural, biodegradable types. If I try it out and deems worthy, I'll let you know.

I also recently got a better scoop, called the "Litter Lifter". It really helps because the way the tines on the scoop are designed...no shaking/sifting, means less dustiness for me, and the process is much quicker! Link to watch:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to use fresh step too and hated the dust so I know where you're coming from! I switched to tidy cats (multicat I believe) and it's a huge difference! I haven't noticed any dust at all, not even when I'm pouring it in the litter box.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
I use the "Integrity" cat litter, scoopable, unscented, and love it!
It's a smaller/finer grain thats easy on kitty feet and it's not completely dust free, but almost so! I don't have to worry about dusting all the time and it works well for odour control, even tho' it's unscented and all of my cats approve!

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
TabbCatt, I just get the Regular, unscented one, I haven't tried the MultiCat formula in it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I too was using Fresh Step, way too dusty!!! Switched to the Dr. Elsey's and it was great for a few months but I got a few bags that were dusty. Tidy Cat is very low dust but seems to be scented. Honestly, I think I've tried every litter on the market.
Right now I'm using the new Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal. So far it has been pretty good. No dust at all, strong clumps, and odor control for about 5-7 days.

I have two cats and 3 litter boxes. They both use the same one and rarely use the other two.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another vote for Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra. My cats prefer it (I did a test), there was no dust, and it's truly unscented. The smell of Tidy Cats (which we've used for YEARS) was really starting to repulse me, and it's amazing how few unscented litters there are to choose from.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help. Fresh step must have changed their formula. The scent is way to strong and the dust is horrible. It literally covers everything in the room with the litter. It was never that way for all the years I've used it. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Keeli~
I've wanted to tell you, I'm trying out the Integrity litter since yesterday, and it is also pretty good. It tracks, however, but I think all clay does. What I like is that it's unscented, and the multi-cat version uses zeolite, a substance that absorbs odors. This company, however, is based in WA state, so I'm not really sure if it's available out to your area yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I spent all day today cleaning our spare room of a coating of Scoop Away dust.

7 hours to get as much as possible and I still find little hidden areas that are dusty

I thought keeping the box near a window and having a fan blowing towards the window on high would keep the dust down but nooooo

7 hours cleaning

"dogs have masters, cats have staff"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought Dr Elsey's Precious cat litter. Had next to no dust when I poured it into the box. So far so good. Clumps great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use two kinds,
Blue Buffalo Clumping Cat Litter (There are two kinds you can get, which are clumping and I think odor control?). I REALLY like this litter because it smells earthy, but it never smells like ammonia, which is a problem I have sometimes with my litter. Its a really solid clump, and does fantastic job. VERY low dust content, that I've observed.

I use arm and hammer cat litter, which does a decent job. I use clumping litter, because then it's easier to scoop. I prefer to scoop over have odor control, imho. It's got dust, but not as bad as I've seen it in other litters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts