Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was going to adopt a kitten but am now thinking about adopting two together. Any advice on what is the best combo - two boys, two girls, or one of each?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I would go with one of each.. or 2 from the same litter. Just make sure you get them fixed ASAP, you dont' want a whole litter running around!

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I ended up keeping the two sisters of the litter, but I don't think it would have mattered if I kept two girls, two boys, or a boy and a girl. They all got along the same :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Mine are two sisters but like everyone else says, as long as they get fixed, I don't think the genders really matter. But I think it's better if they're from the same litter... we adopted two kittens from different litters when I was a kid, and I don't remember them ever being as friendly with each other as my cats are.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I got both of mine fixed at 5 months, just to be safe. I don't think 6 months is to late though. although, i have heard of girls going into heat as early as 6 months

·
Registered
674 Posts
Re: One last thing.....

MonicaC said:
Thanks guys.....
If I do get one male and one female, do I need to worry about them mating if I get them fixed at 6 months?
My boyfriend's cat got pregnant when she was a little over 5 weeks old. I know boys cats usually reach mating age at about 6 months too. I would talk to your vet about maybe getting them neutered a little early.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts