Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my 7 year old boy has been put on Prozac. Trying to give him the pill is a challenge to say the least. I wanted to perhaps get this made into a compound treat for him. What's the best compound pharmacy for treats? Also, has anyone else tried this method? Did your cats like the treats? I'm reluctant go with liquid as he doesn't like wet food much. I reached out to Veterinary Pharmacies of America, they quoted me 1.35 per treat so about 40.00 per month. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Hi kiesha,

Your vet didn't give you any specific pharmacies? I've never had Prozac compounded, but I did have cisapride compounded into treats by Wedgwood Pharmacy in NJ. That was set up by the vet.

For a couple of years, I paid about $28 for a month supply, but with shipping it came out to about $34. About 2 years in, I discovered that a 3 month supply would only cost a few more dollars, because most of the cost is in the compounding process. So a larger number of treats doesn't cost that much more. I don't know if would be possible to get a script for more than a month of Prozac, but if it is, I'd ask about the price difference.

The other compounding pharmacy that I know of is Diamondback Drugs in Arizona, but I've never used them.

I also had one med - I don't remember what - compounded into a transdermal gel by a local compounding pharmacy. I don't know if Prozac would be effective given this way - some meds aren't - but that might be another option for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts