Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male Maine **** cat who will be 1 next month, who has some sort of urinary issue that we're still sorting out. I also have a female tortie who is seven months, and very small, not underweight, but small in stature; both cats are fixed.

I buy cat food at the grocery store typically, right now I have them on dry food in the morning, and a mixture of Meow Mix wet food and Purina dry food for dinner.

Is this a proper diet for keeping them healthy? They don't seem unhealthy, always have an appetite, and always active. If this is not appropriate, and without going broke on their dietary needs, what SHOULD I feed them? I always make sure to get the food with the highest protein level, which is what I've been giving them.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Tbh, no.
Protein level doesn't count as much as the ingredients that make it. And almost all dry foods have way too many carbs in them unless its very high quality.
But if your budget is indeed super tight, even a low quality wet food is better than any dry food. Try to increase the amount of wet over dry. Or if you have the time and the freezer space, feeding raw is actually cheaper than trying to feed high quality pet food.

Take a look at catinfo.org if you are really serious about improving their diets.

Oh, and for your cat that is having urinary issues, dry food only worsens the situation. I'd recommend switching him to wet Asap.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So just a small bit dry and mostly wet? Like a 75/25 type of thing? Gotcha.

I switched him to wet food this evening, and I'll give that website a visit. Thanks!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yea, exactly.
And no problem, you reminded me that I need to be more vigilant about the amounts I'm feeding my kitty.. so thanks to you too :p

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
once your guy is feeling better to be sure he is getting enough water to flush those kidneys you could add a tbsp or so of hot water to his food and mix it all up.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i give my cat about 20% dry, 80% wet....i have found that he really likes wellness chicken formula, and i too like the smell of it..i get it in the 12 oz cans ,,,lot better deal than the 5 oz can. if you are on a tight budget, i hear traders joes is cheap and not that bad ....does have rice in it, ,,,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts