Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feed our cats canned only. What is the best dry food to feed them when we go away? I will put canned out for the first day but will have to resort to dry after that. We can't always have someone come feed them canned every day. One of our cats had a urinary tract blockage when we first got him so he is the one that really concerns me about being on dry for even just a few days. Do I just bite the bullet and get the urinary tract health dry food to be safe even though there are better quality dry foods out there?

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Why can't someone come in and feed them? If he's already got UT troubles I wouldn't want to push luck with dry food.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Because we don't necessarily have someone that is willing to do it every day?
Even if you found a great kibble, I would still be concerned about them running out of water. I would probably check out pet sitting services in your area. Yet, again, I might just be a little paranoid...

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Cats with a urinary blockage can go toxic and die very quickly...24 hours or less. Leaving a cat who has a history of blockage with nothing but dry food and not being checked on daily is really bad idea imo.

I also recommend hiring a pet sitter to come in once a day and feed wet food and leave a measured amount of dry for snacking later on. Make sure the sitter knows the history and is knowledgeable about what to look for (e.g. very small or no clumps in the litter box etc).

Also, since they've been eating wet exclusively...you'll need to introduce the dry food slowly over a week or two before you leave so it doesn't cause stomach upset.

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
You may want to check with your vet's office, their employees may pick up extra money pet-sitting. I know they do in my vet's office, my girls' groomer cat-sat for my girls during Thanksiving.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I use to go frequent business trips for weeks at a time and I'd set up a rotation of friends and co-workers to come by at least twice a day.
I only had one cat at a time back then and would never feel comfortable leaving her alone for over a day , no matter what some people say cats are social animals and they miss their people when there gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We aren't going away for weeks at a time. I'm just talking about the future when we might go out of town for 2 or 3 days and whether I should get prescription urinary tract food for those few days or get a better grain free dry food. They have a water fountain and would have multiple bowls of water. Yes I understand that cats still don't get enough water this way but we have to have a life too and can't be expected to never leave the house. If we can't get friends to check on them, I do not want strangers coming in my home.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Of course you to have a life but you have a special needs kitty and imo that needs to be allowed for.

There are pet sitting companies that have their employees bonded and come with references.

Perhaps pay a friends older children to come over and care for them. Someone you know and trust and a younger person would not want much money. In the new apartment complex I moved to I've already met 3 neighbors who I would feel comfortable coming in to care for my guys if need be. The people across the hall have two toy dogs they DOTE on, the girl downstairs is a vet tech with two giant dogs and an IBD cat (so she's used to keeping her eye on cat health) and the young man downstairs one door down is only 15 but is super sweet, my cats like him (and his 3 sisters) and he's always looking for reasons to get out of his female dominated environment and relax. I'd be cool with him coming in twice a day and letting him hang out for a few hours of play with the cats and watching TV and the cats wouldn't be lonely :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
^ agreed. Everyone has their own opinions/thoughts re: how we raise our cats (and our kids)...

That said,I usually feel fine if it's 2 days. When I'm away for longer, I usually ask a friend to come in every other day (one comes more often, as she loves them, but if I can't get her, I have another friend who is super busy and I only feel ok asking her to come every other day).

I have a water fountain, like you. I have purchased an additional water fountain that I put out when I'm away, so there's two going, just in case. Like you mentioned, I also put out at least one regular bowl of water on top of that (just in case the power goes out, etc).

I pre-prepare all the wet food in separate bowls, cover them with tin foil, then put them in the fridge so that whoever can just come in and take three mins to put food down/water if they're in a super rush.

I feed some dry food, (mostly so that when I'm away for periods at a time, they're ok with eating dry).

For your situation:

I had a cat when I was younger who got crystals easily. Wet food was of course ideal, but we got the low-ash etc dry food specifically for cats like that, and that seemed to be fine as well. We would leave him and his brother alone at times for 2-3 days (max) with that food out, and it seemed to do them fine.

Talk with your vet, see what she/he recommends. (if it's the kind that is conveniently avail for sale in their office, do your research a bit before buying ;) ) , but as long as your vet isn't alarmed, I wouldn't feel too guilty about leaving for 2 days. (more than that, and I'd want someone in at least every other day, but again, that's your choice)

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Ordinarily I would agree, stick to the question asked, but since the OP's cat has certain health issues, I think voicing concerns over the situation is valid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do appreciate all replies. When the new cat came up to us, we started feeding him and giving him water. He was outdoor only at the time (indoor only now) and is 1-2 yrs old. He was extremely thirsty and drank forever when I put out water the first time. I still wonder if his lack of proper food and water contributed to his urinary blockage and he might not actually be prone to getting them when fed proper food. He got the blockage after we brought him home from the vet from getting him neutered which was odd. He just did not act right and we brought him back and he had a blockage. This was about a month ago. The vet was quick to put him on C/D prescription food but we have been feeding him the same as our other cats, wellness grain free canned and before grain 96% chicken canned.

If we stick to the original question, is it better to use prescription urinary tract dry foods when we go away for a couple days or should we use a quality grain free dry food? I have looked for grain free dry food that says urinary tract health but other than having cranberry in the ingredients, none say specifically for urinary tract health with as low ash and magnesium as prescription C/D.

Thank You.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts