Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering what kind of exercise is best for an overweight kitty? My Little Pumpkin is not so little anymore, the vet weighed her and she is now 13 pounds!!! I feed her half a can of Weruva/Wellness, grain free in the morning and evening. I also leave out a 1/4 cup of Wellness Core kibble for her to nibble on throughout the day which she shares with Oreo. I also give her two pieces of treats and/or tuna flakes in the morning just so she can eat her food (some flavors she won't touch unless I put a treat or tuna flakes on top). Am I feeding her too much? Are treats fattening? I give them Drs. Foster and Smiths Chicken Liver Bites or sometimes Pure Bites. Should I stop leaving out kibble all day? I really leave it out for Oreo as she is skinny so I think she needs it more than LP. I feed both of them before I go to work and as soon as I come home about 8 hrs. later. Sometimes I work late so I leave the kibble out so that they won't starve. lol

I know LP does spend a lot of time running away from her kitty sis Oreo but I guess that is not enough exercise in her case. I probably should use Da Bird, Cat Charmer, Cat Catcher, Cat Dancer, and Undercover Mouse toys more.

How do you exercise your cat? How many minutes a day would an overweight kitty need to get down to a normal weight. Also, what is a normal weight for a cat?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Exercise is required. I got Sasquatch down from 23 lb to 16.9 lb which the vet said is fine for his frame. Yeah he is a big boy. We have string dragging, an ice fishing pole/reel with a foofy ball, little foam balls I throw for him to chase & the laser pointer. It helps that he likes to play. I like the fishing pole & reel since I can sit & get him running & jumping for the foofy ball.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I know a lot of times, I am just too tired to play and it's a lot easier to watch them chase each other but now I am going to devote more time with them and their toys. Sometimes I when I use the cat charmer I sit down after awhile as I get tired from standing (I have a bad knee).

·
Registered
383 Posts
The sitting down is why I tend to use the fishing pole & laser pointer. While I've never seen the point in standing waist deep in ice water hoping for a trout. I do find it fun to go cat fishing. Methos will jump straight up going for the foofy ball while Sassquatch will require you to reel him in while hanging on for dear life. I had to upgrade the line to the heaviest line the reel will handle.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Can you ditch the kibble? When Neko was stealing a little bit of kibble from my dog is made him gain weight, it doesn't take much.

And being skinny isn't a bad thing, are you sure Oreo needs kibble?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Since your cat seems to be food driven, i would suggest a puzzle toy My husband and i recently bought a pack of whiffle balls at Target, and i put Rocky's venison jerky treats in there and he runs and runs after the ball for forever! I would suggest trying something like this and it's really funny to watch. Also, do you have a high cat tree that your cat's can climb? I think that really helps Rocky get his energy out as well as it's almost like an exercise gym for him

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried ditching the kibble altogether but when I come home late from work they seem to be starving so I leave a little bit out during the day to alleviate the guilt :(

That is a great idea to get a puzzle treat toy. And I am planning on buying this treehouse:

Do you think this kind of treehouse would give them exercise?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm with the people who don't think the kibble is necessary. Did your vet say anything about Oreo being underweight? Feeding them in the morning and evening is fine, most cats will beg for food even if they're not that hungry, so don't feel guilty! If you do decide to keep the kibble during the day, don't just leave it out! Put it in a puzzle toy, slimcat ball, or even hide it around your house like a scavenger hunt. Here are some puzzle toys:

Stimulo Cat-Feeding<br>Station and Activity Center
Ethical Pet Seek-A-Treat Flip ''N Flap&#153; Puzzle - Bed Bath & Beyond
Amazon.com: SmartCat 3833 Peek-a-Prize Pet Toy Box: Kitchen & Dining

I really want to buy a cat exercise wheel but they are crazy expensive! One day I'm hoping to make one... somehow.

Toy Go Round Cat Exercise Wheel Pet Treadmill - Universal Mania Inc.

I have had great success with the cat dancer. Both cats go crazy for it, I just sit on the floor and drag it quickly back and forth and they chase after it. I have stairs, so I'll sit on the stairs and drag it up down, causing them to run up and down the stairs multiple times.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No the vet did not say that my cat was overweight. I told him and he just nodded but I don't think he saw a problem. I am just concerned that if I don't do something now, then down the line there may be a problem. I had previous cats that were 14 and 17 pounds and they lived until 16 and 14 respectively. One passed away from kidney disease and the other from natural causes. I fed them mostly kibble and this is why I believe one had kidney problems. I didn't know the importance of feeding good quality food and limiting the kibble back then. Now I know so I am trying to improve my cat parenting skills. Today I got out the cat charmer and laser toy. They really enjoyed chasing it around, esp Little Pumpkin, my fatty lol. I will be getting the puzzle toy and putting kibble in the treat toy that the cats have to chase. Thanks for all your suggestions!!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Kibble makes them fat. They should be fine with feeding 2x/day. I have 4 cats and they get plenty of exercise just chasing each other around. I do play with them with the laser toy, cat dancer, etc. just for mental stimulation, but it's not so much for physical exercise.

Azalia used to be about 13 lbs before and could not reach her butt to clean herself well. I was feeding Orijen kibble and canned back then. She's now a bit over 10, which is good for her since she is larger than the other cats and she is much more active and can groom herself without any issues. I eliminated the kibble about a year ago from their diet. Although I feed half raw and half canned now, I believe the most dramatic difference came from cutting out the dry food.

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
I agree with ditching the kibble. My girls can make me think they're starving 10 minutes after eating. Cats are experts at pushing our "guilt" buttons.

I put wet food down when I leave for work. Cats sleep most of the day anyway.

What I've started doing with Cleo (my most sedentary kitty) is tossing treats clear across the room so she has to run to get it, then I toss the next one as far as I can in the other direction. I make her work for her treats. Mind you, she's not fat at all (9 lbs.), but I'd like her to get at least a little exercise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.