Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best food for a feral that had kittens, ie, a lactating mother?
Also up to what age should I give Kitten Chow to growing feral kittens? Six months?
Nerina, one of the cats I feed, appears 'deflated' and she was obviously pregnant, she's the first at the food dish, so that makes me think she's nursing.
Thank-you :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Kitten food

Feed the best kitten food you can afford to the mama cat and as much as she wants. I feed feral kittens kitten food for one year. Also make sure she has lots of water. I find nursing moms drink a whole lot, which makes sense. Has she been dewormed yet? Forgive me if I'm asking redundant questions. I'm not sure if this is the cat you already said had been dewormed.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I generally transition cats off kitten food around 6 months or at the time they are spayed/neutered. The surgery itself causes a drastic and immediate reduction in their nutritional needs, so they don't need high-calorie food after that.

Kitten chow is certainly not the best brand, but there are dozens of threads on the forum about that so I won't belabor the point.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It normally says on the kitten food bags that it should be given until one year old.

DUH, you are right, I'll keep feeding them kitten and adult dry food. And look for a better one that Kitten Chow, I've jotted down a list of possible brands to check tomorrow.
Since none are s/n I'll concentrate on that as much as I can and spend more on a better food later when the s/n bills are paid..no low cost s/n clinics here :(
I'll get some good food to feed mama though.
Lotocats; this cat isn't dewormed. Apologies if I wasn't clear, the ferals aren't dewormed, only my cat Madam is.
You must be thinking about Paula, a feral I want to deworm because she weighs too little to be spayed, less than 3 lbs_ she's fairly tame so I thought of taking a bathroom scale and weighing with and minus cat; it feels like less than 3 lbs. She looks healthy though, just very thin but not bony..
Hence next question; can I mix dewormer with their food?
Dr. Jean, Abhay, Lotocats, thank-you much :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Can mix with food

Yes, you can put the worm medicine in some wet food. Can you get some Strongid from the vet? OTC worm medications are not too good I don't think. I know that most don't kill hookworms. The vet should be willing to sell you 2 dosages, one now and one in two weeks to kill any larvae.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The reason it says on the bag to feed until one year is that they make more money on kitten food and want to sell you as much of it as they can. After 6 months, they don't need it.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
spittles said:
I see...Nutro kitten is the same price as adult at PetCo :?

Abhay
You're right Abhay, it is...but if people have more than one cat the food companies make more money because when you go to the store you are buying TWO different kinds of food if you have to buy kitten and adult foods.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Is the kitten going back to the colony?

Is the kitten you are asking about food choice, going back on the street to a colony? If so, I'd feed it the kitten food for a year. They have so much stress to deal with out there. The extra protein and fat, with winter coming, will do it good. If on the other hand, it has a nice comfy home, then switching it to adult at 6 months should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts