Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So... Kitties turned 4 weeks old yesterday. Today I placed a shallow litter box in the room hoping for them to learn how to use it. Jason says it is time.
But then I had to take it out. Two that got in the box licked and tried to eat the litter. I checked old threads here and seems to be expected, I just can't use clumping litter. Turns out I don't understand which ones are clumping.

So, I use bentonite. Is this safe?
If not, will the silica be safe?
If not too, what should I look for on the labels or descriptions to be sure it is safe? I looked online and no bag says "kitty safe". Please, no brands as sure the ones available here are different.

Thank you!!!
HappyFather

Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
I can't help you with exact ingredients, but most litter bags should say whether they are clumping or not somewhere on the bag 馃槉

Registered
Good question! I remember looking up cat litter and there's all sorts of conflicting information, with several different types (clay, crystals, pellets, etc) each having pros and cons. From what I could gather, non-clumping clay (calcium bentonite) is safe for kittens unless they ingest a fair amount of it. It needs to be cleaned and changed out more often than clumping. Clumping clay litter (sodium bentonite) is definitely out until they're older, and when you switch, do it gradually so they get used to it. There are some litters designed to attract kittens, but I've never used them and don't really trust additives.

For our adult cats, we use clumping, fragrance-free, low-dust, medium-grain clay litter, with no additives like baking soda or charcoal, scoop 2 times a day and if there's a doodle on top (one cat has covering issues!) and change out once a month. The type of litter and ingredients should be included in the listing or on the package. If not, you can google the product name and ingredients, or call the manufacturer directly. Mind-boggling, isn't it?!

Edit: Oops! Changed "fine-grain" to "medium grain" litter.

Registered
Hello M. I buy Dr Elsey's Classic Clumping Litter from Amazon for my adult cats (didn't like the Premium one, seemed to have more dust). It's made from natural clay and works well for us. I don't know it they sell that brand where you live, but you could look for something similar if you want.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the replies!
I went on the shelves reading the small letters and so I figured out that there is the "clumping" and the "absorbing". Turns out the absorbing seems like small stones (smaller than peas) and that is the type that should be OK for the kitten. I ended up buying one that states being "60% sepiolite, 30% dolomite and 10% other minerals" low dust etc.
Got home and put some on the box and placed the box inside the room. Two kitties went there and tried to eat the small stones and licked it all... Oh well, at least it will make them no harm.
On the next day there were two darker-coloured spots on the sand so maybe at least one of them understood the purpose and peed on it!
One day more and my wife saw Loreta going into the room and calling the kitties all into the box as if telling them it was time to use the box. But we weren't able to observe any of them properly using it. Loreta doesn't use that box, she prefers the clumping bentonite on her box that is in a different part of the house.
Let's hope this works. So far there is no stuff being done outside the box also. But I would really "love" to see small poops inside that box!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts