Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I'm about to get 4 kitties microchipped and I'm not sure what the best chip is.

A few vets around here use RESQ, which to my understanding is one of the first ISO (15 digit) chips and many readers in circulation have trouble finding them and if they do, they don't always read the info. on them.

Also, there seems to be two Home Again chips. A 10 digit and new ISO compatible 15 digit chip. One of our vets uses the new Home Again chip. I *think* Home Again is phasing out the old chip in favor of the new ISO one. Not 100% on that though.

It really seems that the ISO 15 digit chip is quickly gaining traction and will soon be the most popular chip being used.

I would assume the new Home Again chip can be read by all the Home Again readers out there, in which case, it might be a safer bet than RESQ?

Any one with thoughts or suggestions about this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
My dog and Matrix are chipped with Home Again chips.

From my understanding, many of the new scanners will read several different types of chips, whereas before, the scanners would only read ONE type of chip. (Example - AVID chips could only be read by AVID chip readers, HomeAgain chips could only be read by HomeAgain scanners, etc.)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Both my cats have Home Again microchips with the 15 digits. My vet had a good deal this summer where the microchip was free and all I had to do was pay the Home Again registration fee, $17.99 for each cat.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I have 24petwatch chips. I have never had trouble with them being read (I have had them tested on multiple scanners)

I *do* have a problem with the microchip company themselves however. I have had the chips for years and suddenly I get a bill in the mail, telling me I had to pay $40-something (not quite sure of the exact number) per pet to keep my information up to date. They had 'locked' my account so that I could not update it.

I was never informed of this, which upset me. So I called and complained. They told me that I could pay the yearly fee, or I could not and I would not be able to update my information any more. They would, however, keep my information on file. I told them I was moving soon, so could I please update my information this once, but that I would not be paying their fee. They said ok and unlocked my account.

To this day I have never paid a fee, and my information has thus far remained unlocked. I don't plan on changing my cell phone number any time soon so even if I move they will have a good number. As another precaution, they also have information about which clinic they sold the chip to, and all my pets have their microchips on file at that clinic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Should probably add - the shelter implanted the microchips in both Ozzy and Matrix. It was $25, and they register the chip for you. With Ozzy (I had him done at a dog event), I filled out paperwork and they registered it from that. I took Matrix into the shelter to have them do it, and they took my driver's license for the info. I got an e-mail a couple days later and I could update the info and put pics and stuff on the profile.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My only complaint about my vet involves money. It's not that I don't want him to make money. which he does, it's how he has chosen to do it.
With 3 dogs and 2 cats - and having been with him for over twenty years- I contribute nicely to his income.
Each chip has cost us $100 bucks. I pay it and try to look at the cost over the life of the pet, which makes it easier.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
o_O $100 for a chip??? Yes, he's making money off you! Chips themselves only cost about $25, and most vets don't charge over $40 (extra for the service of putting it in and dealing with squirming cats, I guess).
Wow....

Anyhoo.
Zinny I got chipped at the vet (which only cost $36, including the first year registration which is usually $17), and they gave her a HomeAgain. I went to the website and put in the info myself.
Nebbie was chipped when I got her, and it seems like a rather short number compared to HA. Home Again says you can register pets with other chips...but I haven't tried, as I don't have a spare $17 right now (will I ever??)
Xanthe has a chip, but since she's not mine, I'm not going to bother doing anything with her info.
Paizly doesn't have a chip, but the only time she's out of my bedroom is in a carrier to go to the vet...so I really see no point for it, for her.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had my one cat chipped (24PetWatch) when I adopted her at the shelter. I have not yet gotten a bill, and I will be annoyed when/if I receive one.

I know my vet uses RESQ chips. I am sure it would cost me more for RESQ, but I rather pay a one time fee than get a bill.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Now I'm concerned. The one my vet used hasn't been mentioned by anyone here. AKC CAR - American Kennel Club (yes the doggy one) Companion Animal Recovery.

EDIT: Never mind, I just read on the AKCCAR websire..."our microchips can be read by AKC CAR/TROVAN, HomeAgain WorldScan, Bayer/resQ and some AVID scanners"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input!

I think I am going to go with the newer Home Again chip and just hope that I never have the opportunity to find out if it works!

And yes, $100 is expensive, wow! Our "pricey" vet charges $50 and I think that includes the registration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts