Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see so many on the web I don't know what to buy. But I'm sure it'll help diffuse some of the tension / aggression among my 3 fearful rescues. I love soothing music too, for me. Especially harp.

Have you tried any?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Robin likes horns and human vocals. Rythymically,he likes unplugged percussion; hand drums,rattles,those...er,um,clicky sticks,what are they called? I think cats prefer sounds they hear in real life.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
My cats relax with classical music of a relaxing kind, such as Debussy's "Claire de Lune", Baroque music and Mozart. They like CD's of nature sounds, birds chirping and singing too. They leave the room if they hear hard rock or loud discordant music.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
sounds of nature, etc...

we (and i'm pretty sure our kitty angel) love these cds. they're more like relaxation and spa and nature sound cds. we used to play these while we meditated and kitty would join us:

Relax 2 sublime music for reading & lounging
spring showers by laserlight digital
soothing sounds for body and soul 3-pack (ocean shore, rolling thunder, morning in the mountains)
tibetan bowls (forgot the specific cd)
steve halpern Higher ground

maybe your local library has these so you can try them out first and see if you like them.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Peggy likes Beethoven, Mahler (the quieter stuff), Bach, Mozart, Elgar. Not so keen on Shostakovich though. Or Wagner lol...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can't find it online, but a few months ago I heard a radio program that talked about a research study that was done that found that cats prefer music with low heavy bass such as metal and some electronic style music. CC will lie right by the speakers if we play metal or dubstep...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I believe it also depends on the instrument. When my mom plays violine, my cats stays quite calm. However, when she plays with her Xun (a Chinese music instrument, low pitches btw), no matter what music, even the same that she played with her violin, my cats will run away. Every time. They will keep distance until mom is done :lol:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Molly Girl loved Pink Floyd when she heard their music she would sit still and listen and start rolling and purring.
Beans loves all blues music. She will lay at our feet and just listen.
Stretch will listen to whatever Hubby listens to. Hubby has a 25 CD changer so all sorts of music.

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
1. The Lovecats - The Cure

2. Cat's In The Well - Bob Dylan

3. Year Of The Cat - Al Stewart

4. Cat People (Putting Out Fire) - David Bowie

5. The Siamese Cat Song - Peggy Lee

6. Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats

7. We the Cats Shall Help You - Cab Calloway

8. Mean Eyed Cat - Johnny Cash

9. Three Cool Cats - The Coasters

10. Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin

11. Cat Scratch Fever

and, of course, anything by Cat Stevens

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Shepherd Book sits right in front of the record player speaker when I'm listening to my 30s and 40s records. He never seems to care what noise is coming from the computer speakers.

MowMow loves anything I sing along with. It's usually my Showtune station on Pandora but anytime I sing along he climbs on me and purrs himself silly.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maggie, I think you've introduced me to a whole new hobby. I've been listening to samples on Amazon, and I like these musicians:

Paul Baker (harp)
Steven Halpern (inventor of relaxation music)
Sally Fletcher (relaxing harp music; Healing from the Harp, etc.)
Erik Berglund (relaxing harp music)
"Lullaby Music: Harp and Flute" CD by various

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sometimes Kermit will sit in my lap when I spin some old 78's......I think he likes old country music best but maybe it's the warm lap he is after cause he don't sing along.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
great!!!

maggie, I think you've introduced me to a whole new hobby. I've been listening to samples on Amazon, and I like these musicians:

Paul Baker (harp)
Steven Halpern (inventor of relaxation music)
Sally Fletcher (relaxing harp music; Healing from the Harp, etc.)
Erik Berglund (relaxing harp music)
"Lullaby Music: Harp and Flute" CD by various
i'm so glad you've discovered some new music! :p maybe i'll check out some of those harp cds myself. better yet - i'm going to see if the library has any of these selections. i love free stuff!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Morse stops crying in the car if Lady Gaga comes on. I'm not sure if he likes it or hates it though. Ha!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maggie, thanks for the S. Halpern recommendation. Really good!

I can't get any of these CDs locally so I have to order them from Amazon, which will take time. In the meantime, I just play my cats the samples from Amazon ("Listen to all samples" feature), and they (we) seem to really relax!!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
steve halpern

straysmommy,

i'm so glad you like him. i was so happy when i finally discovered him. sounds like planetarium music, doesn't it? very dreamy. it's great if you just want to sit in the bathtub and relax yourself, too! i listen to it when i go to bed sometimes, too, to help me go to sleep with good thoughts.

i searched my library online and they didn't have any of the specific harp music you mentioned. :sad but i will start out by trying what they have and maybe someday they will get some of those other ones in their inventory.

enjoy the music with your kitties!

·
Registered
62 Posts
my kitty loves when i play my flute. he jumps up on the piano and just relaxes and listens. so maybe some nice flute music? then again, i'm partial as a flutist :)

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I play flute too, but if I'm playing high notes, Alkee will stand on her hind legs and tap me and meow loudly....I don't think she likes those high notes. She doesn't do it if I'm playing lower notes. Zuba doesn't seem to care one way or the other.

·
Registered
474 Posts
1. The Lovecats - The Cure

2. Cat's In The Well - Bob Dylan

3. Year Of The Cat - Al Stewart

4. Cat People (Putting Out Fire) - David Bowie

5. The Siamese Cat Song - Peggy Lee

6. Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats

7. We the Cats Shall Help You - Cab Calloway

8. Mean Eyed Cat - Johnny Cash

9. Three Cool Cats - The Coasters