Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either dressed or whole prey (I think I'll have to clean them for my picky cats anyway), where do you get them? I just received my first ever Hare Today order and I'm very happy with it, but they're too expensive to be a regular source for me. Someplace I could order in bulk from would be great, and where the shipping cost isn't terribly prohibitive. I'm on the east coast. Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only place I know of is Free-Range Venison, Antelope, and Wild Boar Meat - Buy Online | Broken Arrow Ranch and they aren't my version of cheap but that might just be because I can be pretty cheap sometimes lol.

Example of some of their pricing on whole dressed quail is 20 birds for $77.00 (that's with shipping). Or 32 birds for $110 (again, that's with shipping).

Any reason why you want quail? I find just buying cornish hens from Safeway is more cost effective ha.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy smokes! Yeahhh...definitely not cheap haha. I thought I had heard of a place that sells whole prey quail and chicks along with rodents and such. It may or may not be RodentPro, but it's someplace like that. I'll have to search around.

I guess I wanted to get some quail both for the variety and because the bones are so tiny. Two of my cats are not fans of bone in items so I figured I'd try something a little easier to get through.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lol yea I wanted to use quail at first too until I realized what it would cost at most places. There might be cheaper sources but I haven't found one yet.

My little kitten and Chihuahua can get through cornish hen bones just fine, they're just chickens that can't be any bigger than 2 lbs. I get them for about $1.99 per pound. I would buy one and see how your kitties do. It might be a cheaper alternative.

If by a miracle I find a decent priced quail supplier, I'll post it :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They do eat Cornish hen, but two of them are so dang lazy about the bones. I just figured something more fragile would be easier for them to get through so they wouldn't give up on their meal. The price is definitely a little prohibitive though. Thanks for the tip, hoofmaiden, I'll try Asian markets. Otherwise, I guess we'll be crushing Cornish hens for a while!

·
Banned
22 Posts
So far I have had 0% luck feeding my little monkey whole prey. I haven't pushed very hard, though I will push a little harder... her gums could use it.

I just bought a bag of quail from Hare Today. Does anyone have any tricks to get a first timer to eat this? Otherwise I will go with adding to her ground, little by little.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Because quails are a human delicacy (not enough meat for me really) it pushes up the price. Could you go straight to a breeder?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts