Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a little doghouse for my stray last year, which he absolutely loved. But he may have peed or marked inside recently, because he refuses to go in it now. The sides are plastic, floor is wood, and I have the wood planks covered with corrugated cardboard to keep out the wind. Then there's a towel on top of the cardboard. I didn't see or smell anything, I washed off the inside as best I could (it's hard to reach in there, and the roof doesn't come off), and I washed the towel, but he still won't go in.

So...I'm looking for a new cat house. Even though the house is on my 2nd floor deck, which is covered, it gets very windy here, and if it rains hard, water does pool on some of the wood planks, so the ideal house would have a small, recessed entry/overhang, and a raised bottom. This seems impossible to find.

I checked out the links in the feral cat forum, but almost all of them are for DIY projects, and I'm hopelessly inept at putting things together (even when they have pre-drilled holes it's an adventure).

I found these, though. Does anyone have one of them, and if so, what do you think? Or can anyone recommend another?

Outdoor Cat House - Purple 22x16,outdoor cedar pet houses,katkabin,Insulated heated cat houses, katkabin dez rez,small pet dog house sales,cat enclosures

This one is cool: Feralvilla Outdoor Cat Shelter

And I also found this one, but it's expensive. I'd rather not pay that much, but if it's significantly better than the others, I would buy it. Outdoor Cat Houses : 17 Inch Cedar Cat House

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've seen those, as I've been looking around for one as well. Amazon has a few additional options. Search for "feral cat shelter" or similar phrase and you'll get a couple different results. I'd love to hear what other people have used and like.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that cats prefer a shelter with two entrances so that they cannot be trapped in the shelter. I see the first option can have a second door added. The second site says that it's not an issue (like I said, I don't know either way).

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LadyK, thanks for the tip - I found this one Amazon.com: Feral Cat House: Pet Supplies
I can't decide whether to try this one or the Feralvilla. I don't know if he'll go in this one because it looks so different from the doghouse he's used to.

minikin, I've heard that too, and I can see how a feral might feel trapped. But Casper liked his doghouse, which has only the front entry, so I think he'll be ok. There are a couple of other neighborhood cats (with homes) that occasionally come up to munch his food, but they're not out when it gets cold. I also used to see a raccoon or an opossum up on the deck, but not for over a year. When I saw them, they were only interested in the food. I prodded both of them off with a broom - flying raccon, lol.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that cats prefer a shelter with two entrances so that they cannot be trapped in the shelter. I see the first option can have a second door added. The second site says that it's not an issue (like I said, I don't know either way).
That's what worries me. I was thinking of getting one for Guy. He wants inside, but he wants the door open and I don't want to heat the whole city, so when I saw this post I immediately thought of him, but we have prowling raccoons so he wouldn't want to be trapped.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Justjim I've read about cat doors that open only to animals with specific microchips... You could chip him and get one of those, and maybe then he'd be ok with the door closed? Just a thought. I can't even remember how much they cost; it could be outrageous.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are quite a few models that have 2 doors: Amazon.com: K&H Outdoor Heated Kitty Camper, Measures 14 by 20 Inches: Pet Supplies
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Kitty-House-Heated/dp/B004ZJOH06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350349162&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+houses+for+outdoor+cats[/ame]

I just don't know how the kitties will keep warm with 2 doors like that. I guess you could cut some material and staple/glue/tape it over the openings.

The kitty tube, which I eyed last year, says it has a "unique" door design that will keep other critters out. I was scared off by 2 reports that there was a chemical-y smell.

Amazon.com: The new and improved Kitty Tube. Fully insulated outdoor cat house.: Pet Supplies

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found these on ebay:

1. Something a handy person could make, but that I couldn't: CAT POD/2 DOORS, OUTDOOR CAT HOUSE, SHELTER, BED,CONDO | eBay

2. This says they'll put an extra door on for $10. INSULATED CEDAR CAT HOUSE SHELTER,KENNEL BED,CRATE, | eBay

3. from the same seller. I like the fact that it's up off the ground, but it seems awfully high. However, this might keep other critters out. SMALL INSULATED CEDAR OUTDOOR CAT HOUSE WITH PLATFORM | eBay

Ugh. Dilemma, and it's getting cold. :(

·
Registered
518 Posts
Um this is really interesting. I’ve built a lot of different style dog houses, but never a cat house. This might be a lot of fun and I might even be able to sell them at the flea market or something.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Um this is really interesting. I’ve built a lot of different style dog houses, but never a cat house. This might be a lot of fun and I might even be able to sell them at the flea market or something.
Builder, you should definitely seriously consider this and sell them ebay, which is where I found this company. There were some people selling cat houses that they had made themselves. They weren't fancy, but they also weren't expensive. Some of these cat houses run between $200-$300.

My ideal cat house would be raised a few inches above the ground and have a slanted roof so rain runs off. The entry would be small, raised an inch or so from the floor and recessed. It would have a kind of vestibule, with a floor, side walls and an overhang, that would extend out a few inches to block wind. (Clearly, I've been spending too much time thinking about this.)

If you built one like that, I would buy it and donate this one that I just bought to the local feral cat organization. :)

Very fancy digs! Is this one insulated? I like that the top opens! Nice find.
Insulation was an option, for an additional $15 I believe. They would add a second layer of wood and styrofoam. I chose not to because the little room upstairs is only 10" high; with insulation the clearance would only be 8 1/2", and Casper likes his cat bed, which has sides that go up about 4-5". There's also an outdoor heating mat under his bed, which adds an inch. The bed has a cutout in the front, so I'm hoping that'll give him enough clearance to climb in.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My ideal cat house would be raised a few inches above the ground and have a slanted roof so rain runs off. The entry would be small, raised an inch or so from the floor and recessed. It would have a kind of vestibule, with a floor, side walls and an overhang, that would extend out a few inches to block wind. (Clearly, I've been spending too much time thinking about this.)

If you built one like that, I would buy it and donate this one that I just bought to the local feral cat organization. :)
Wow I saw a small dog house just today that sounds exactly like you described. It was up on legs off the ground and it was fashioned or at least reminded of an Asian house up on stilts. The roof looked Asian with the way the trim was cut. I think it was a dog house but it was small enough to easily be a cat house. I’ll try to take a photo of it if I remember the next time I’m in the area.

I love building things like this because it’s fun. The thing that excites me about this is that it’s small. A lot of things I build are just too big and costly to ship.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dog house that I currently have is off the ground and the entry isn't too big. It has an overhang, but the entry is flush with the front of the house. I wish they had put in sides and a floor the width of the overhang. I would have considered buying another one, but I haven't seen it in my google travels.

The nice thing about a lot of the cat houses that are hand built is that they come fully assembled, good for people like me who can't hammer a nail into a wall straight. I did manage to put together the dog house without any trouble, which was miraculous. I wish I were handy. I'd build a ton of cat furniture. :)

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I hope that your kitty loves his house. You obviously put a lot of thought and love into your decision.

·
Registered
518 Posts
OK well I’ve noticed a farrell cat sleeping on my front porch in the mornings on my way to work. It sleeps on patio chair and I threw an old flannel shirt out for it to snuggle up in. I’m now thinking of building a feral cat house out after reading this thread. It will have go in front because they don’t go in the back yards, but I’m torn by my very horrible past experience when I put a dog house out as a home for a mother cat and her 5 kittens. I wrote about it in my intro.

Anyway I’m making some notes on what is favored here and some of the things are “recessed entry/overhang, and a raised bottom”. Oh and a removable roof for cleaning. I think I want it to be latched so a dog cannot open it with its nose or the wind blowing it away.

I don’t know about the double door because from what I’ve noticed is that cats like to snuggle up inside things to feel protected. I can’t set a cardboard box down before my cats are in it and yet when I put down a tube they just run through and never hang out inside.

I read somewhere that the ideal entry way would be offset so the wind doesn’t blow directly on them and maybe have the entryway wrap inside so that they aren’t exposed at all. I think when I build mine it will be restrictive to a large dog actually being able to put its head inside to get the cat. I have Plexiglas panels that I could add a window so that the cat could see outside to know when it was safe to come out.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don’t know about the double door because from what I’ve noticed is that cats like to snuggle up inside things to feel protected. I can’t set a cardboard box down before my cats are in it and yet when I put down a tube they just run through and never hang out inside.

I read somewhere that the ideal entry way would be offset so the wind doesn’t blow directly on them and maybe have the entryway wrap inside so that they aren’t exposed at all. I think when I build mine it will be restrictive to a large dog actually being able to put its head inside to get the cat. I have Plexiglas panels that I could add a window so that the cat could see outside to know when it was safe to come out.
Goodness, what an awful experience with your neighbor's cat and the two kittens. :( But it's great that you're taking care of the feral cat now. If the house is on your porch, the kitty may not need that second door, especially if you make the entry small enough that a dog can't get its nose in there. Or you could make the house slightly larger, so that with the offset door, the kitty can hole up on the other side. Do you have raccoons or opossum in the area that might try to get in the house?

Definitely an offset door. I'm fretting about my stray while waiting for the cat house. Their website says it'll take 3 weeks because they got so many orders (although I bought this on ebay, and it said there were several available, so I'm hoping it'll arrive earlier). In the meantime, I bought a big heavy duty plastic bin, turned it sideways and put the heated pad and his cat bed in there. But that one side is totally open. I have the open side turned towards the wall of the house, but still...It didn't occur to me until yesterday that maybe I could cut an entryway in the lid and put it on. I was going to put it in the middle, but then I realized that offset would be much better. However, I'm not sure how I'm going to cut through this plastic.

I could have sworn I read in a thread here about mylar sheeting (or something like that) that could be used to line the inside of the house for warmth. I have no idea what this is. I guess I could find it at Home Depot or Lowe's though. Maybe they'll cut a door in my plastic lid while I'm there. :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
No racoons, but we have coyotes that walk right down Main Street at night and I see them all the time when I leave for work at 4:30AM only at that time they are usually heading back out into the desert.

As far as the insulation, both Lowes and Home Depot sheets of Ridgid foam insulation. Home depot has the Owens Corning which is Pink and Lowe’s also has some but a different brand and theirs is blue.

Foamular 3/4 in. x 48 in. x 8 ft. Tongue and Groove Insulating Sheathing-37L at The Home Depot

They will cut it with their plywood saw to a smaller size so you can fit it into a car and will give you two free cuts. They always give me a hard time saying they can’t cut it, but they usually do after I explain that it will not ruin their saw and that’s how it’s normally cut it. I did have to talk to the manager one time, but I’ve always had them cut it. It helps if you know what size you want before going in.

Actually it can be glued together to make a house and painted. :grin:

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Spirite I bet you saw this post I had on the Feral Cat section of the forum. 2nd post down in thread. Talks about the insulation.

http://www.catforum.com/forum/56-feral-cats/158175-celebrate-national-feral-cat-day.html

builder it would be so great if you sold those feral cat houses!

Thoughts on the door. Ferals can and feel safe in the smallest places. Im sure the opening can be smaller than normal. That way a dog couldnt get in but would be normal for a feral cat to enter.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts