Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You can use a styptic pencil or powder, available at the drug store. Tissue will work if it's not a bad bleed, but when you remove the tissue usually the clot will come with it and you are back to square one.

Only trim the very tips of the nails; one bad experience like this can make a cat impossible to trim in the future! Hitting the quick is intensely painful!!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
drjean, when should one start trimming the claws (at what age)? and how much should you trim... very tip can be very relative... 0.5 mm? 1 mm? (sorry don't do imperial).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I started early with my guys; 5 or 6 weeks.

It's hard to quantify "tip" but I mean just the very itsy bitsy tip, the sharp point only; it's too easy to "quick" kitten claws, and then you have a problem!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
OK, I'm confused. What is "to "quick" kitten claws"? Remember I'm Swedish, so talk slowly. :D

OK, so the very tip would be maybe be about 0.5 mm (or about 0.0196 inches - had to find a converter).

I don't think our breeder has clipped the kittens claws yet, have to ask her tomorrow when we go up to see the kittens the last time before we come and pick them up in 2 weeks (they are 10 weeks old now).

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If you look on youre own nails there is the skin under it.. this is the quick. When cutting any animals nails it is easy to catch this bit, and VERY painful!

To answer the original question-
As already stated you can buy special powder to stop it bleeding, but in past experince flour also does a good job (I dont think plain or self raising matters ;) )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts