Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a couple posts on my cat Midas' recent ordeal with urinary blockages. The most recent is here.

Right now he is eating canned Hills c/d chicken and I was given Methigel to give him twice a day with meals.

What are the alternatives to Methigel? Is Methigel my best bet or is there something better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I'm not qualified to say whether Methigel is your best bet or if there are other alternatives. Methigel should not be given if your cat has any liver or kidney disease, and should be given with food to prevent digestive upset. If your cat has to be on this medication for a long time, I would consult with another vet for a second opinion, if you are not confident with your present one.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Since you're giving this per a vet's advice, I suspect that the brand of acidifier is less of an issue than insuring that you are administering as prescribed and ensuring the vet is following up on testing the pH regularly, especially if it's prescribed for long term use. Basically...don't skip or significantly delay a monitoring appointment...if the pH is too low you're risking going the other way and ending up with calcium oxalate crystals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts