Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all,

I'm a lifelong dog lover who has just adopted 2 beautiful kittens (9 weeks old). The wee girl Sooby has a minor eye infection and the vet has given me eye drops for her and advised to me clean her eyes regularly with sterilised water with some salt in it.

The problem is that I am finding it difficult to administer the eye drops for this very stubborn wee kitty! Can anyone give me any tips on the best way to go about this??

Any help much appreciated! Thanks, Nicola

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
When my kittens had this, this is what I did-
*Wrapped them up in a towel- aboslutly nessesery if you dont want to be torn to shreads (Or at least in my guys case)
*Once the body was wrapped up in a towel I put the body undermy arms, so the head was reasing my on leg (You need to be sat down)
*If needed clean the eye first.
*Using one hand I put a finger on the top and the bottom of the eye lid and basically pulled it open. Sounds harsh but it isnt- just make sure the eye is clear of any gunk first so your not pulling that apart.

To clear the eye of gunk I just kept wiping it with warm water, I didnt use salt. Kept wiping until it was all soggy and came off really easily.

My cats did scream thier heads off when I did this- not while I was doing it, just they hated being wrapped up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
success - mostly!

THanks for your help. I managed to do this successfully for a while, then she gets really grumpy.

I hope she doesnt hate me for it! Always give her a treat afterwards and lots of cuddles.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also found that the larger the towel, the easier it is. I've used towels big enough so that all of the cat that showed was the little face, which makes it a lot harder for them to squirm away. If the towel is dry and warm and you talk soothingly, they can even start to get sleepy.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Yeah thats what I did with the towel, around the entire body so that all you see is the head, I found a bath towel worked best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts