Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to start Tahllulla on some steroids for a skin issue on Wednesday (had to wait a week after she had her last booster).

I'm not going to lie, I was slightly confused with what the vet was telling me, I cannot for the life of me remember what the name of the condition was (although I am going to phone tomorrow as I need to do my own research). She has thin fur that just keeps shedding and she appears to be self harming when extremely stressed which I believe she said was made worse by this skin issue. Apparently it is a skin condition seen in white cats with very little fur on there ears (I have a feeling she mentioned something about thin skin) They have told me that they are going to try her on these steroids to see if this will rectify the issue and also if will help her to calm down a bit, but the more I think about it, can steroids even help a cat de stress? I'm so annoyed at myself for not taking more in at the time or asking more questions.

Anyway back to point how do I get these pills into my cute little furry ball of claws and teeth, without looking like I have just come off second best to Freddy Kruger? They have said if I cant get them down her, they can give her a shot but that would mean sending her back to the vet and she has already let her displeasure be known about that place.

She is a very very fussy eater so very little chance on disguising it in there.

I'm thinking pea shooter, yawn and a lucky shot (lets call this plan H).

I would really like to hear all of your stories, no matter how weird or wonderful on how you lovely people successfully medicated your kitties.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If it's prednisone, you're lucky in that they are small and don't taste too bad.

The way I used to give my cat Sophie pills was: with one hand apply a little pressure to the back of her jaw, which makes her open her mouth and then just throw it toward the back of her mouth.

·
Registered
273 Posts
did the vet call it feline hyperesthesia syndrome?

if so here is a brief bit of info Veterinary Topics: Hyperesthesia

as far as pilling goes, well the last time i needed to do it was something i would like to forget.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did the vet call it feline hyperesthesia syndrome?

if so here is a brief bit of info Veterinary Topics: Hyperesthesia

as far as pilling goes, well the last time i needed to do it was something i would like to forget.
Yes that does sound familiar and after reading the link, thats pretty much my Tilly. Poor baby, every time the scratches appeared, I just had her claws trimmed as I though she was just catching herself. These last lot of bald spots / scratchers appeared when Bob died, thats how the vet picked up on it.

I thought that the twitching that she did was an odd little quirk, but it looks like it was her way of telling me all was not well.

I am really, really mad at myself Tilly was my first cat and I read everything on nutrition and behaviour but nothing much about health. I think I must have figured that I would know if there was anything wrong, yup got that wrong too.

I am slightly worried as the vet did put it in a round a bout way, that it may be best to have her re homed rather than take her with us to Australia, she said that it may be the less stressful option for a cat with these issues.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
At the same time it may be hard to find an owner as loving as you are, who is willing to take an adult cat that already has issues especially if she is needing meds. Even if the trip would be stressful, I think Tilly would want to stay with her mama

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have to give Cloud 2 pills in the morning and 1 in the evening. He also stresses super easily and, just like your cat, has a medical condition that can't afford for him to stress out.

What I do is crush his pills into a really fine powder and mix them with just a little bit of wet food before his main breakfast/dinner. He is super hungry at this point so he gobbles it up real fast, then I give him his full dinner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts