Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory: I got a new foster kitten named Domino yesterday. He was trapped with his siblings at about 6 weeks of age and have been with my coordinator since. He is now a little over 4 months. I was asked to take him because I have more time to spend one on one with him and work on socializing him. He does great with other cats and dogs so that's not a concern. According to my coordinator, once you have him in your arms he will let you hold him, will sit in your lap and will purr like crazy, but he wouldn't ever approach her on his own or would hide.

I know right now being in a new environment is contributing to his fear. He cowered in the corner of the carrier the entire way home. It took him almost 30 minutes to get the courage to come out (I didn't want to reach in there are scare him). Initially I locked him in my bedroom but he was so scared to come out from under the bed that he peed there instead of in the box in the room, so I moved him to the bathroom. It's a smaller space and doesn't have carpet.

I let him have a few hours to himself to sleep (he looked exhausted and had a big day getting neutered before I picked him up) then I went in the bathroom and just sat there with him. He didn't move from a corner for about 20 minutes. I then picked him up, held him for a few minutes, pet him, talked softly, then put him back in his corner and left the bathroom. A few hours later I did this again, except after I let him come out into the living room.

He LOVES my boy cat, Kyser. He literally came bouncing out of the bathroom and wanted to play as soon as he saw him. Kyser is so patient and let Domino crawl all over him, play with his tail, and head bump him repeatedly. (My girl, Kirby will love him in a week or so, she keeps her distance during the intro phase). I was able to see quite the little personality in Domino watching him run around my living room and play. I tried to stay as still as I could on the sofa while he was out, but got up a few times to keep my eye on him.

What is the best way to work this little guy to not be so afraid of people? I know this is going to be a process, but I've never had any cats or kittens that were more than just your typical "this is a new place" kind of scared. Is holding/petting/talking to him on a regular basis the best medicine? Would Feliway be a good idea for this little guy? Is it better to keep him isolated in the bathroom and only interact with me or to continue to let him play with my cats?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The interaction with Kyser is good for him - he will learn how to retract his claws when playing etc. Also what you described- playing, talking to him, petting him is probably what they want you to do.

If you have some freinds or neighbors who can come over and just sit around with you and ignore him, that might help with his fear of other people. But so far, my cats still hide from other people, and I have had them for almost 2 years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts