Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i think my kitty's claws are getting pretty sharp and i want to try trimming them. but i doubt my 7mo old will sit still to let me trim them. what should i try b4 sending her to the groomer?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The best thing to do if you have never done it before is get your vet to do it with your supervision. Watch how he/she does it, if your not confident then get the vet to do it again and watch, your vet might let you try it with them watching you.
Ive never cut cats claws before for im dont really know what the best way to do it is. I just know you have to be cafeful not to catch the quick or it bleeds quite a bit. The best way to describe the quick is when u look at your finger nails, see there the skin part starts under the nail? thats the same for cats, on some its easier to see than others, depends on the cats colouring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
nail trim

Why don't you give it a try? You never know, those moments when she wants some attention and lounges in your lap might be a good time to give it a shot. Maybe she won't mind too much.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
@mumsyof2 If Chinisimo has never done it before it is best to be shown how first. It is easy to cut the quick, and it will bleed a lot. If you hurt the cat the first time you touch thier feet to do it they arent going to let you near thier feet again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would be careful too. They do have medication in the pet stores in case you accidentally make them bleed. I don't worry about cutting my cats claws. She has a big scratching post to claw her nails into. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cut both of my cat's claws, but it is very easy to see the quick of their claws because their claws are pretty transparent. My friend also showed me how to do it before I did it the first time, and I used to have a dog. Once you have seen it the first time it is very easy as long as your cat is calm. Both of my cats love being in my lap on thier backs and will squirm a bit but eventually relax enough to let me go at it and I have yet to hurt them. Have someone show you and try it out with them watching. You'll see how trouble free it can be.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Zalensia said:
@mumsyof2 If Chinisimo has never done it before it is best to be shown how first. It is easy to cut the quick, and it will bleed a lot. If you hurt the cat the first time you touch thier feet to do it they arent going to let you near thier feet again.
I was never shown how, and I have never hurt my cats. I think it's pretty easy to do if you know what NOT to cut and what to use.

1. Do not cut the pink part. Your goal is to just make a square edge to the nail so it can't puncture things easily.

2. Use a SHARP nail cutter or you could crush the nail instead of cut it, and this will hurt the cat. You can use a kitty clippers or a human toenail clippers -- but if you use the human one then hold it so the blade is vertical.

3. To get your cat used to it, make sure they are calm -- let them sniff the clippers even. Pet them and talk to them, and then try just cutting one or two claws at a time. Let them go and roam after that to show them that it's not that bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't think she's that comfortable w/ me holding her paws let alone sqneezing out the claws. i think most likely she'll flip out and run off hiding. but i want to get it started so she'll be used to it.

am i trying to do this too soon w/ her?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've never trimmed any of my cats' claws. I do have ferrets though and I keep theirs trimmed.

I've never worried about doing it to my cats, however, I did notice that when one of my girls came back from the vet a few weeks ago (she was spayed), that they had clipped her claws. I had 2 cats done at the same time and the other one they didn't clip. Maybe Callie, the one they clipped, was scratching them? :?

It's always best to have your vet show you how to trim your cats claws, then if you are comfy with it, try it yourself. Lots of luck!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Good advice given so far! I would add just a few other suggestions.

First, handle her feet often, not just when you want to trim her nails. If she doesn't like it, just start with a light, brief touch or one-finger stroke. Over time, she'll tolerate more. If she's used to having her feet petted, stroked, squeezed, and manipulated, it will be a lot easier to proceed to the next step. Wait until she's comfortable with this before trying to trim. BTW you can start at any age; my two youngest got their first trim when they were tiny, probably 4 or 5 weeks. Little kittens have *very* sharp claw! (And they don't know enough to argue!)

Second, wait until she's very relaxed or asleep. That's how I do mine. I keep clippers all over the house just in case I get an opportunity!

There is no rule that says you have to do all the claws at once. Just one or two at a time is fine! Just remember (more or less) where you left off so you can proceed to the next toe.

If the cat struggles, let her go. Never make it into a battle. If she feels like she has control over the situation, she will be more relaxed each time. If she's having a bad day and just won't have it--chill! It can wait until tomorrow!

Trim only the sharp tips of the nails. If you even get close to the quick, she will feel the pressure and resist. As you both become more comfortable with the procedure, you may be able to take a little more, but the main thing is to make it totally painless and as stress-free as possible. Also, not all cats' claws are clear so the quick can't always be easily seen. Err on the side of caution. If you ever cut the quick, it will be the last nail you ever trim on the cat!

Claw-trimming basics (with illustrations) can be found at:
http://amby.com/cat_site/cattrain.html

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
697 Posts
My friends cat becomes the hairball from **** when anyone goes near her paws so she tried using a emery nail file board as a play toy. It took a while but as the cat swatted and fought with the nail file, she was filing off the point of her claws. I have to say that it does take time and some practise. I tried it with my little kitten and succeeded in sharpening his claws into needle points rather than making them less dangerous. oops

1 - 11 of 11 Posts