Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this should probably be a no brainer. But I am just wondering what is the best recommended way to warm up raw to 'mouse temperature' for feeding?

Darius loved the fresh bits of chicken thigh I give him yesterday. . I hope to be able to get him used enough to raw meat to graduate him up to chicken necks a few times a week for both his dental health and the mental enrichment that goes along with frankenprey. Perhaps when I am more comfortable, I'll eventually transition him to raw. I'd need to find a good source for the various organ meats before I do so, and do more research. There is a small, Hispanic supermarket that I should check out. I don't speak Spanish very well, but I can drag my Peruvian friend along to be my translator. From what I saw when I was there with him before, they had an incredibly large array of meat that isn't found in run of the mill grocery stores.

My housemate was sweet and got some chicken gizzards for me at Woodmans. I bet they'll be chewy, but I expect he'll like them as a treat.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I put thawed raw meat into a baggie and then into a sink of hot water for about 10 mins to warm it up.

Be careful not to feed too much bone or you can badly constipate your cat. You can also cause electrolyte imbalances by feeding an improper balance of meat to bone. I find that my cats can generally handle 1 1/2 chicken necks a week, along with their muscle and organ meats.

Laurie

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know! He'll probably only get one chicken neck a week if he eventually takes to them, then.

·
Banned
952 Posts
I do the baggie in the bowl of water, too. :D (In fact, my cats' meals are all frozen in bags) I use room temp. water, though. I've noticed it doesn't take much to start cooking that meat! :roll:

I would think chicken necks a couple of times a week would be ok as a treat, with the added benefit of getting your kitty accustomed to raw and to bones, especially since you're also feeding raw meat. It's when you begin to feed him full-size bone-in meals alongside commercial products that you might run into the constipation Laurief mentioned. Once you have your kitty on a full-raw diet, you can increase the number of bone-in meals (in fact, you'll need to, as ~10% of a raw diet is bone).

Good luck! Sounds like Darius is already on his way to natural diet. :D

P.S. I'm jealous of your local resources! :)

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I freeze Gracie's meals into small portions in an ice cube tray (the amount comes out to be about "two small mice' worth") and thaw a serving at a time overnight in the fridge.

Just before we give her a meal we microwave it for a few seconds on high, or just a little longer on half power - so it is room temp but not cooked at all.

:) Fran

·
Banned
952 Posts
Fran said:
I freeze Gracie's meals into small portions in an ice cube tray (the amount comes out to be about "two small mice' worth") and thaw a serving at a time overnight in the fridge.

Just before we give her a meal we microwave it for a few seconds on high, or just a little longer on half power - so it is room temp but not cooked at all.

Hmmm, I'm not sure this is a good idea, Fran. The instant the microwave turns on, it destroys nutrients - it's the rays that do it, not the length of time you set the food for. So, the product may still look "raw" but it'll definitely be comprised.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Auntie Crazy said:
Fran said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure this is a good idea, Fran. The instant the microwave turns on, it destroys nutrients - it's the rays that do it, not the length of time you set the food for. So, the product may still look "raw" but it'll definitely be comprised.
hospitals don't use microwaves to warm up fluids etc. good vets won't. the people that made microwaves won't use them. i don't even microwave water to put in wet food which may be too much but i'd rather be careful.

my method is to put the bag of meat in a bowl of lukewarm water.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
lol...I'm a bad mommy :D

I did begin by warming up their food...but I rarely do it anymore. Kindof as a treat. My 4 honestly don't care whether it's warm, cool, cold, or still partially frozen...actually I lied the boys like it partially frozen :D

In the beginning, yeah I worried about it. Now? Nope...If it's frozen they still chow down. Like I said, the boys really enjoy their frozen meals, especially on hot days.

Of course if it's a bone meal it's always thawed. I figure those are much harder when frozen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts