Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My short hair tabby, Figaro, whom I was with when he was born and have raised him ever since, has been throwing up on a DAILY basis for the past 6 months or even more... I've lost track of how long it's been. Anyway, I've taken him to a vet and all the vet said was to change his diet and change it PROPERLY. (Slowly integrating the new food into the old food till you can completely switch over.) Well, I've done that. Many, MANY times. He'll be okay at first, but then he'll start throwing up again. Sometimes he'll throw up three feet from his food bowl seconds after he finished eating. I don't know what to do anymore. Figaro doesn't live with me, he lives with my parents and my mother is getting extremely impatient with him for repeatedly staining her carpet. (She has been amazingly helpful and patient since the beginning, but it's wearing thin.) I need to do something to stop the vomiting, but I don't know what to do. He doesn't seem to be in any physical pain... he still plays around with the other cats and wrestles with them and has fun. If it weren't for the throw-up, you'd never know something was wrong. I think it might be that he's eating too much, but there's no way to regulate how much he eats because of the two other cats in the house. I know he isn't throwing up because of the cats... one is his father and the other he grew up with, so it's not that. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME! I'd hate to do this because like I said, he isn't in any pain, but I will have to put him down if nothing can be done and this keeps up. I can't afford vet bills... I can't even afford to live myself, right now. I'm not giving up on him yet... I love him so much... but I'm at the end of my rope. Someone please help me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's most probably the food

I have one cat who can only eat one type of can food and that is Science Diet A/D. That is a prescription diet for sick and convalescent cats/dogs. She can eat any flavor/variety of dry, but only that one type of wet or else it comes up within 5 minutes of her eating. Is your cat eating premium wet or dry? I thought mine had a hairball problem, but it wasn't that. The A/D is the consistency of baby food and I guess that is easiest for her to digest. For example, today I bought some Wellness can. She ate it with gusto and 5 minutes later it was up. I really don't know why the A/D is the only wet food she can tolerate. Also, make sure your cat isn't eating too fast/too much at one sitting. Let us know exactly what he is eating and maybe we can recommend a food that will agree with him. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Not only do you have to change diets properly, you have to change to the *right* diet. Has a hypoallergenic diet been suggested/tried? (If not, please find another vet!)

This is probably inflammatory bowel disease (or similar problem), which is basically a food allergy. Chicken, beef, fish, wheat, corn and dairy are the primary allergens in cats. You'll need to find a food that does not contain any of them. Petguard, Merrick, and Nature's Variety Prairie all make such foods (using venison, duck, lamb, turkey, rabbit, etc.). IVD is by far the best of the veterinary hypoallergenic diets.

For more info on IBD, see:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=011

If all else fails, a trial of oral steroids (preferably prednisolone, not prednisone which is harder for cats to metabolize) may do the trick.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cat Sugar used to throw up too when I first got them. First it would be b/c she ate too fast and later it would be b/c the food would have the red dye in them. I fed everything at the pet store including Proplan and Science Diet I/D which she rarely threw up on. Now ever since she's been on Chicken soup she is fine, no throw up. Hope it works out, and if it doesn't please take your cat to the no kill shelter :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts