Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
wish I could afford one of these babies! I've read they like water and will jump in the shower/tub with you, must really help keep em sqeaky-clean :wink: congrats :idea:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ralphcor,
You may be able to find one here for a lowered price. They are retired show cats or cats that were turned in because the owners could no longer care for them.
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Yard/4614/
You can find the area that is closest to you and adopt a bengal for yourself. They are great companions. Some do love water and will actually jump in the bubble bath with you. They are a intelligent breed and are very easy to train to do tricks and walk on a leash but it truly depends on the cat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the link Julie! I see they don't have a rescue website for my area, but will send email to the regional contacts and will see what reply I get. While back I was checking out different breeds and it said $500.-$650. average for a Bengal, so that made think out of my range. It's nice to know they have a rescue for them, unbelievable someone would give up such a beautiful cat unless they absolutely had to.

When I was a teenager growing up, one of my girlfriends' grandparents had a Ocilot - it was so long sleek and stunning. They had the poor thing declawed and kept in a barn, but sectioned off way too small of a space for it to get good exercise in my opinion... well I only saw it once so I don't know how they maintained it, but I would guess fairly well since they had horses, a tarantula in the house among other creatures. The fun thing to do was stick your hand in the cage and see if you could avoid that lightining fast cat grabbing it! :shock:

Oh yeah, I've also went to your website and will register soon because I want to see all the pictures! :wink:

·
Registered
366 Posts
No problem! The cats from the rescue are not that much money. You may need to pay a small adoption fee like you would at the shelter but they are definately not that much. Some don't even charge you may just need to pay for shipping if it's not in your area. Flights could range from $50-$170. Not too bad. Thanks for checking out my site! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for posting,

I got Marble from a breeder in Banning, Ca.
As of last night, he's been with me for a week.
I believe he is 11 weeks old. He seemed a little bit bony.
He had 2 other brothers who were a bit more socialized than him.
There were and are still some concerns.

The breeder gave me some cat food- it looked like adult cat food.
He pooped a lot! It looked like he pooped everything he ate. I switched to Science Diet by the third day. She also gave me wood pellets for the litter box which had no odor deterrant. I switched to arm & hammer super scoop, and he like it too much. Played in it like a sandbox!
Bathroom habits and food habits seem better.

The first night he wanted to be left alone. He crawled inside a closet and stayed there most of time, which is normal behavior for a kitten in a new environment. He would run away when I approached him. The second day, I spent all day with him to make it more comfortable for him. I talked to him, pet him, even sung to him!
He was afraid to get on the bed- I think he used to be punished for getting on the bed. Now he is willing to explore more. I discovered he already knew the word, "No" when I tried to stop him tugging on the computer cords. He used to run away when I said, "No."

By the third day he would follow me, come to me when I called, and sat or lay nearby as I worked. This did take some love and attention and food!
I have always been careful not to reinforce aggressive behavior or play when in contact with him. I don't play aggressively with him and do not rub his belly if I sense in is in a play mode. On Monday, I used a toy on a string that he enjoyed chasing, he played with this toy as I dragged around for 15 minutes. We did this again for another 10 minutes in the evening. I fear that I may have inadvertently reinforced aggressive behavior. On that same day I gave him his first bath. He did not like the water too much, and was quite fearful, but I gave him treats and talked to him the whole time. I pet him and talked gently to him afterwards for 15 minutes.

Ever since the bath and the chasing of the toy mouse, he's exbited aloof, stealth behavior. He would run away when I or my room walked into the same room. He didn't like to be touched as much, wanting you to chase after him, laying on his back so that you by chance touch his tummy so he can attack, jumping when he sees you to encourage a chase, ect.. He seemed paranoid, ready to dash off if you got close to him at times- preferring aggressive play to being in your lap or scratched. Sometimes he would turn away when he realized I didnt' have food in my hand. He stopped coming when I called.

I believe having him chase the toy mouse as I dragged it around the room, enforced some ferral qualities (some of the older cat friends at his previous place were somewhat mean- they hissed and snarled when they ate and play).

He had a timeout last night for being way too rambunctious at 3 am, but today I talked to him, pet him, and he stopped running away when I came in the same room and even came when I called. Today I'm reinforcing good habits with treats. He is ferociously smart.

I have several questions:

1. What is your cat's favorite treat?
I bought this chicken flavor treat at Petco and he does not like it that much. I would rather not give him human food as treat.

2. How do I get my Bengal to enjoy water? Hello!
(Actually he loves to play with balls of tape waded up, so i'm thinking of floating some waded tape into low level water and maybe he'll jump in on his own initiation for his next bath. Maybe a windup duck in the water?)

3. My kitten always wants to play. Do you schedule a time for play with him and if so what kind of play that do not reinforce aggressive behavior?
( I stop playing with him when he gets too rambunctious-goes on stealth mode. I thought I had found a perfect excercise, play for him as I dragged the toy mouse around the room, but was this training for an attack cat?!)

4. Clay and Silica is bad and creates dust so what do you use for the litter box that will absorb odor? (I think my litter box is attracting roaches) I was cleaning it out twice a day.

5. Do you think my kitten was poorly socialized in his first few weeks of life? (The breeder had lots of animals under her sole care)

6. I have much time to spend with him now, but will it be okay to leave him alone in two weeks during the day?

Currently I've placed two books on hold at the library to help me be a better parent. It's interesting how the kitty trains you.
This kitten is very smart and special. He learns very quickly, and I realize
whatever I do affects him greatly- special care needs to be taken.

Thanks all,
Bungalowboy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Shirrel,

He was acting very aloof yesterday.
I thought I was going to turn him into a lap cat overnight!

Actually he let me rubbed his belly the first morning after..
But that was with a lot of petting, talking, and singing.
I sang him to sleep, and he became a ragdoll.

He just seems to like his cheap adult cat food the most.
He loves chicken and turkey too.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It will take some time to make that bond you desire. Be patient and loving and it will happen.
To teach about the water.. I leave like 2 inches of water in the tub and throw some floating toys in there. He will explore it on his own and DO NOT force him or he will hate it forever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today started off difficult..
I tried to trick him into taking a bath with all of his toys, but it was just to wet, so I let it alone. I think he was a little bit paranoid with me for even trying. But I spent much time with him today and talked to him.
It seems like he wasn't paying attention so I gradually spoke to him in Vietnamese!

Well I started singing while I was working and it mellowed him out.
I spoke to him in Vietnamese some more and he seem to focus more.
We both felt like playing fetch, so when he push a piece of tape by me,
I threw it and told him to fetch- in Vietnamese for 16 times!

I was stunned. We also got tired of playing fetch at the time.
But I was amazed at this 12 or 13 week kitten... I will have to get the breeder to tell me a real date.
Isn't that a smart cat?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts