Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 year old Maine Coon Tabby, Precious. A couple of days ago I noticed a HUGE bump on her left upper leg. It's not round, but more oval. It just seemed to appear overnight. It is about 2-3 inches and when I lightly squeezed it it seemed squishy. It didn't seem to hurt her, but now she walks funny. Kinda like she is walking foward but sideways at the same time. Her head was slightly shaking...kinda like a person with parkenson's. I think that it's starting to hurt her now...It makes me really sad because I bottle fed this cat since she was only 2 days old and now, I just can't bear the thought of her dying after almost 14 years together. She has also been peeing and pooing in the kitchen. I haven't been able to take her to the vet because I won't get paid until the 16th. I feel so bad I can't help her the way she needs... :( Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with my long-time companion??? Thanks..

·
Registered
365 Posts
You can't do anything but take her to the vet. She may have a tumor or cyst and it's causing her pain. I bet if it's a cyst she may have a fever which would cause the jerking head movements. Cats deteriorate wicked fast so I would take her in ASAP.

·
Banned
410 Posts
Why don't you offer the vet a check--but ask if you can date it for the 16th?? I agree with everyone else--she needs to be seen by the vet now. My brother's boxer has had tumors on his legs several times. (I heard that tumors are common in boxers???) Maybe it will be as simple as just removing it and she'll be fine. Please keep us informed.!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, a got her some antibiotics. Her head isn't shaking anymore and she is running around and playing. But something really bad happened last night. The big bump got so big that it burst. Like I said she really shows no signs of pain AT ALL (thank goodness). So now she has a hole about 1/2 inch big and it looks kinda deep. I don't have a credit card (I am only 17) and I have a debit card but I was out of a job for 2 months and I used up all the money I had in the acct.. She had this before on her neck and I took her to the vet, they said since she was so old that they didn't recommend anestishia (can't spell). She gave her antibiotics ans just wrappeded it up and it healed really nicely. But when it happened in her neck (by her jawline) they said that they thought it was a tooth that got infected so it got swollen and burst. This was about 6 months ago. Now that it's in her leg I don't think it's an infected tooth. But Like I said I got her some medicine and hopefully it will be able to hold her over until I have the $100 for her extensive check up. But she's back to normal for the most part. I hate wondering and not being able to do anything for her. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Don't let that hole heal over too quickly. It this was an abcess and it heals over, the infection could come right back. Many years ago I had a cat with a deep abscess from a bite. (He was allowed outside.) The vet did surgery on the abscess. He allowed me to take him home only if I was willing to clean the hole thoroughly a couple of times a day, even if the cat cried. I was to use Q Tips and peroxide, then apply an antibiotic cream.

Is it possible that your cat is being bitten and getting abcesses? My problem was solved by having my cat neutered, and now my cats aren't allowed outside. Cats are prone to infection when bitten or cut. Was the fluid light brown? If so, it might be an abcess. He needs attention, though. You can't handle it without a vet visit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts