Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten will NOT use his box. We have had him for 3 days now, and he insists on going to the bathroom on the bed. We are using the same litter as the breeder was using and obviously the box is spotless. I don't know what the problem is. We have now moved him from our bedroom to the bathroom and I guess we will have to keep him there until he starts doing what he's supposed to do. I feel bad about putting him in the bathroom, it's small and it has a REALLY loud fan that automatically comes on when you turn on the light, so he won't be able to hear ANYTHING we are doing or saying in our apartment. It's also the coldest room in the house.

We have only had him for 3 days but he just keeps doing it and it's getting more frequent now. Is this the best thing to do? It's either keep him in there or lock him up in his crate all the time but I think that's pretty mean..........

I have no idea and I'm getting really frusterated....not to mention getting NO sleep.

·
Registered
65 Posts
He might just be really freaked out about being in a new environment suddenly. When he makes a mess outside of the litterbox, try using paper towel to pick it up and put it in the litter box, since the smell of his waste is in the box he should start using it.

good luck :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, I have done that! He just covers the paper towel!!! He still pees on the bed though!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Keep the faith and give it some time. I think you're doing the right thing by keeping him in one room only with everything he needs there. I know it's hard, but try not to feel too bad about it - it's better than the other option of giving up and getting rid of him. Lay a couple towels down so he can cuddle up to get warm and comfy with, if he starts doing his business on a towel, I'd take everything out of the bathroom except litterbox, food & water. If it's that loud in there, maybe get a small "night-light" which are only a couple bucks.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Odd - my friends cat was a bed pee-er too. They solved it by denying access to a bed (as in close the bedroom door) and the cat re-learned to use the litter. Also - in the litter in a high traffic area? Or - high traffic to the cat? Some cats are very sensitive to that.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I just put him in the bathroom and I guess he is fine now. No more problems. We just moved to a new apartment last night and our kitten was SOOO good...he is the MOST sociable kitten I know. I swear, I let him out of his crate and he just started walking around like he was saying "yeah, I know, this is MY home now.". It was SO funny! In about 5 minutes he had found something on the floor to play with and was totally pre-occupied. We gave him the ultimate test last night, cause it was a new house...we let him sleep in our bed. NO PEE!!!!! HOORAY!!!! He got up once in the night, I woke up (my boyfriend sleeps like a log and never hears ANYTHING)...but I heard the kitten drinking and eating....he probably used the box too. What a good boy! I just can NOT believe how easily he adjusted! People normally say to put your cat in one room for a bit after a move, well our kitten gets MAD if we try to confine him! He wants to be with us doing whatever we are doing! What a sweetie! I'm in love!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts