Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm in big trouble with my cat Maleke. Remember how he had that runny eye? Well it never cleared up, and now he is coughing. I REALLY can't afford to keep taking him to the vet........every time I get paid it seems I am paying for vet bills for him. I don't know what to do anymore....I feed him healthy food, he's an indoor cat, yet he seems so sick all the time. He is still energetic and eating and everything is normal....but he's hacking and coughing every day now (almost to the point where his voice gets husky), and his left eye is running still. I'm really scared, I don't know what to do. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
34 Posts
i know it may cost a lot but it sounds like Maleke really needs to go to the vet, my previous cat Foxy had a runny eye and we took her to the vet too late and she had to be put down because it caused so many bad things with her, she was 17 though so was pretty old and had things that didn't link with the eye but it could turn serious if it isnt treated :?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that! At this point it does sound like the vet would be the best option. Maybe you can ask the shelters nearby who they use for cheap vet care? Could you talk to your vet and explain your situation? I know how you feel. :( I'm very lucky my boyfriend makes good money in his job, because when we got the dog we never expected to be going to the vet every few weeks!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Maleke: I'm sorry to hear about this dear.
Have you talked to the vet about him possibly having Chronic Herpes? (This is treatable). One of my cats has this, and I can give you more info if you'd like.

I know it's rough having these vet bills. I have 3 fosters right now amoung my 6 adopted animals and it's hard enough when one falls ill let alone if they all did at the same time!

Couple things to consider

1.) Has he been tested for heartworm?
2.) It would be good to get your own stethascope, listen to his lungs/heart for any abnormalities while at home.
3.) Talk to your vet about low grade bronchitis or asthma.
4.) Talk to your vet about chest x-rays to look for fluid in the chest.
5.) Talk to your vet about the possibility of Roundworms & Lungworms.
6.) Have you recently switched your litter?
7.) I assume he does not have a heart murmer?

At this point I would also consider some immune support supliments for him! I love and trust the Solid Gold company, here is a few products from them for you to consider.

Life Extention - http://solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=33&code=565

S.O.D - http://solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=43&code=654

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help! I guess I will take him to the vet if this persists. My boyfriend does make good money, but he says they are my cats and I'm responsible for paying for them. Plus, he always thinks I should wait it out with them....he will say something like "it's only been a few days, give it another week". And if I book a vet appointment, he thinks I'm nuts and wasting my money over what could be nothing. But I love my cats....I hate seeing them suffer.

He hasn't been tested for heartworm.....I know how deadly it can be too. I'm also suspecting asthma of some kind. It only just started a few days ago.....they get hairball medicine once a week so I know it's not that.

Anyways, thanks for the help....I'll keep you all posted.

~ Erynn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts