Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I stop this from happening?

My 1 1/2 year old male steals food my 10(?) month old female at meal time.

He will switch between his and her bowl multiple times during feeding time, even when he has more food in his bowl, he goes over to hers, then back to his, then over to hers. It confuses the female and often times she just ends up walking away and not eating, leaving the male to finish both bowls.

I have tried separate feeding times where I feed the male first, but it doesn't matter if he's full, he will go over to the females bowl and eat it.

I've even tried placing their bowls across the room from one another, he still goes over to hers.

I don't want to have to stand behind them at every feeding and pick him up and put him by his own bowl and then chase down the female and put her in front of hers :(

And I also don't want to have to isolate one of them in a room :(

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
Sorry, but for now, I would feed them in two completely separate rooms.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
I agree with Marie!
Since your male doesn't have a problem eating, put him in another room by himself for mealtimes and keep your young little female with you, so she has company while she eats in peace!
Your male sounds very food driven, so don't feel bad about him eating by himself, he'll be just fine!!
At ten months, your girl is still growing, so she still needs to feed two to three times a day (depending of course, on what and how much, you feed at a time!)
Good Luck!! ;)

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
They don't have to LIVE in separate rooms. Just at feeding time.

Book is always taking MowMow's food (and MOwMow won't beat him up for it) so I feed Book in the bathroom.

I mix the food and carry both bowls, I drop MowMow's off on the way to the bathroom. After two years of this Book runs ahead and yells in the bathroom until I get there. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I have to feed mine separately too, otherwise Stephano eats his food real fast and then runs to finish Taffy's. And he also runs ahead of me, he knows the routine, he knows he goes into the den, shut in there for about 5 minutes while Taffy, and my dog Greta, finish their food, because he will try to steal the dogs food too. Taffy eats really slow, so sometimes Stephano is locked up for a whole 10 minutes, but it is the only way I can assure Taffy will get to eat all of his food. It's not a big deal if you have to do this, they get used to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts