Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

my cat binx has become what i believe to be the worlds most efficient killer. a small furry weapon of mass destruction. He used to bring home the occasional mouse during the night to "play with".This i didnt mind. however, in the last week, he has brought home 9 mice, 2 voles, and a large, unidentifiable bird. Last night alone, he brought back 3 mice. Every 2 or 3 hours, i had to get up and chase a mouse around my house so i could set it free. im feeling a tad tired today, and this cant go on. I have an open plan house, so i cant keep him in at night (he goes mental and we cant sleep). I realise hunting is a natural thing for him to do, but im at my wits end through lack of sleep. any help or advice would be great.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I'm not completely sure about how accurate what I'm saying is, but its based on info I've gotten from this site. If he isn't fixed, get him fixed. Males tend to want to go out and "wander" more when they're intact. I don't know much about where you live, but outside cats tend to live much shorter lives than indoor only cats. He can pick up all sorts of diseases and worms from the mice and birds he is eating.

I would highly recommend keeping him inside and finding some way of tiring him out before you go to bed, at least to get rid of some of his extra energy for the night. I'm sure he'll want to go back out for a while, but eventually will get used to staying indoors and calm down a bit.

Hope I helped... if any of my info was wrong, please correct and forgive me! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has been fixed. i just tkink he really enjoy's hunting! im unwilling to keep him indoors. Its my own personal belief that animals should have freedom to roam, and not spend there lives locked up. They may live longer indoors, but if i was a cat, i would want an exiting life outdoors, despite the risks, rather than long dull one. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Lots of cats live very happy lives indoors... you just have to work a tiny bit harder to provide them with stimulation. I can understand how you feel about having them outdoors, it does seem more fair to the pets, but I would just keep his safety in mind. Do you live in an area where he can roam without a lot of traffic? If you're in a busy area, I would think he's more at risk. But if you live kind of out of the way, I'm sure you may not have too many problems. Keep him up to date on his shots though.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Does he wear a collar? If so, are there bells on it? Try one....or three.. :D

Its the only suggestion I have besides turn him into an indoor kitty. 8)

·
Registered
60 Posts
My cat was an outddor cat, for 8 years. We moved into certain areas that I felt wasnt safe for an outtdoor cat, so i had to force him to be an indoor. Oh how he craves the outdoors. Its quite cruel that I keep him inside, but I have to. I had to declaw him last year, so theres no way, even if I wanted to, would let him out. He just stares and crys, and sometimes tries running out, when I try to leave. Hes also gotten really fat, since he doesnt get the excersise he usta get outdoors.

Anyway, he is nuetered, and I bring this up because he usta bring home stuff too. The mice were only in parts. The birds were typically left at the doorstep. Sometimes he and his brother would bring home live bunnies! Anyway, one night he meow constantly. i was worried, I was afraid a bigger animal was after him. I opened the door and he ran inside still meowing. It was dark, so I couldnt see. He ran to his food dish, meowing still... ...then he dropped it. Another bird. Apparently he was REALLY proud of this one.

It is quite odd that your cat is bringing home multiple animals in one night. Although I do like your cats name. Is he a black cat? When I was really little, I had a toy orange cat, that I named Binx too. It beat my real cats name - Whiskerz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts