Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About half of the time, my 4 month old kitten is really quite sweet. He sleeps in my bed at night, likes to nuzzle my face and neck when I watch tv, and rub against my legs when I get home from work. He lets you touch his paws, rolls over for belly rubs, and likes to be held like a baby (or any other way you're willing to offer attention). But then there's the other half of the time.

My cat will bite me, everywhere. Dig his claws into me. He wakes me up at all hours of the night by biting me, stepping on my face, and crying. He'll nurse on me. He knocks over cups and eats my food every chance he gets. Honestly, all of this bad behavior is a little shocking, because he used to be pretty shy. The only consistent problem I've had with him since he was little and didn't develop as he got older was crazy mewing from separation anxiety.

I really don't know what to do. I've never disciplined a cat before-- this is the first cat I have ever owned. So far I have started locking myself in the bedroom when he bites me, so that I remove my attention from him. But I don't think it's working.

He's a very energetic cat who gets what we call "zoomies" and sprints around the apartment. We try to tire him out without encouraging aggressive play but it's difficult. If anyone has toy or training recommendations, they'd be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
26,809 Posts
Well, good news and bad news. The good news is that Theo is feeling comfortable in his new home. The bad news is, he's a kitten and has a ton of energy. For biting, I would just pick up the little rascal who was doing it and put her down away from me. It took a while, but they do not like to be ignored.

As far as eating your food, easy remedy, don't let him. Keep it away from him. I still have to put food in the microwave if I need to stop and do something in the middle of a meal. My Cleo is a fur-covered Hoover.

And knocking things over? I put all of my breakable decorative pieces away. If they broke something after that, it was my own fault for not either securing it better or leaving it out.

At bedtime, I would play with them for a while and feed them right before I went to bed. Most cats eat, groom and sleep (at least for a while).

14 years later, Cleo and Charlee Marie still go into rocketbutt mode once in a while, but I love it!

You haven't mentioned counter-surfing yet so I guess that's something you have to look forward to. :oops:

My twins loved these toys for years. They're all on Chewy.com and a couple are less than $9 and are buy 1 get 1/2 off another toy.

Catit Play Massager Circuit Ball Cat Toy

Dishware Tableware Cat Felidae Liquid

Frisco Cat Tracks Butterfly Cat Toy
Blue Liquid Purple Butterfly Violet

Petlinks Twinkle Chute Lighted Cat Tunnel Toy

Glove Sleeve Purple Violet Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll hold out hope that my ignoring tactics will work on the biting then! As for countertops-- I nipped that in the bud with cookie sheets, it only took a week for him to stop jumping up there after I set some of those on the edge. Which is probably why I'm feeling a bit discouraged in regards to all the other behavior, I just can't get it to stop 😕

As someone who worked with toddlers for many a year, I do believe a lot of it has to be coming from pent up energy. But helping him let it loose is proving difficult; I don't mind his "zoomies", they are quite cute, but it's certainly not enough to tucker him out. I've gone as far as considering a second cat just to keep him entertained! Right now I have lots of different types of balls (crinkle, wool, sparkle, cardboard, catnip), a three way tunnel, a scratching post with feather toys and a ball circuit attached to it, a few stuffed animals, and worm on a stick that is his personal favorite. However, gnawing on cardboard of any kind is certainly a crowd pleaser as well!

·
Super Moderator
26,809 Posts
Well, I adopted sisters so I had it much easier. They even slept in their own bedroom.

Do NOT let their innocent faces fool you.

Cat Comfort Carnivore Felidae Grey

Adopting another kitten may help, that's what a lot of people advise those in your position to do. And it is pretty cool having bonded cats. But I always say only adopt another cat if YOU want another cat. And if that's what you want to do, I would do it sooner than later, while Theo is young and more accepting of another kitten in the house.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good advice above. I will also add....this is temporary. Your cat will become an adult at some point, and while it sounds as if he has a seriously playful character, which is great to have in a cat, he won't always be climbing the walls. It's a stage he is going through.
My cat was like this, in spades. My gosh, it was constant! What happened: once he was 14 months old, and old enough for the procedure to be safe for him, I got him neutered. The next day he was a new cat. Still with all of the same energy and playfulness, but without the frenetic energy or activity. He still occasionally gets the zoomies (which I like) but is not constantly running around or being destructive. He's much easier to live with now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's true, he does have neutering ahead of him. And I did always want a snuggly, playful cat. I've only had dogs in the past, but I didn't like the idea of cooping one up in an apartment so I just hoped for a dog-like cat. Boy did I get my wish it seems. Thanks for the advice! Patience and practice, guess I was hoping for a more magical cure lol.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That's true, he does have neutering ahead of him. And I did always want a snuggly, playful cat. I've only had dogs in the past, but I didn't like the idea of cooping one up in an apartment so I just hoped for a dog-like cat. Boy did I get my wish it seems. Thanks for the advice! Patience and practice, guess I was hoping for a more magical cure lol.
Ha-ha, aren't we all looking for that? But enjoy his crazy kitten stage. It will give you funny stories to tell people over drinks in the future. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great suggestions from everyone! I would definitely get another kitty after he is fixed. He is just getting all his kitty energy out anyway he can. It will be easier on you if he has a friend to run with, play with.

How do I know the earth isn't flat? If it were, cats would knock everything off the edge.......

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
My kitties I've had over the years have always loved ping pong balls.

·
Registered
446 Posts
OH, your mention of ping pong balls makes me think of my cat's favorite toy. It's one of those "practice golf balls" These are used when people want to practice golf indoors(?) I guess. They are the size of a golf ball, but are lightweight hollow plastic and they have round holes all over them. My cat can get his eye teeth easily into two of those holes and carry it. He plays fetch with me with those balls.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Great suggestion! I'll have to get some of these.....even tho I'm not a golfer, I know my cats will love them, as they're great retrievers too.

Reactions: Mosi

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh trust me, I am not a golfer either! I just had one of these for some reason and my cat fished it out of the drawer so I gave it to him and then discovered that he would fetch it, so I went out and bought a package of them. This is, of course, important, because you need back ups when they end up under the couch or otherwise lost until the next time you move things. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts