Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get Chloe to calm down! I am not angry with her! I have tried talking to her but she is just cowering away from me.

What happened was around an hour ago I was standing holding Chloe and she suddenly decided to leave my arms backwards under my elbow so wriggling from my arms tail first. I thought she was going to hurt herself in the backwards jump from my arms so I tried to support her and the hook of her claw got caught in my finger - just like when it gets caught in a fabric - for a few seconds before the claw ripped through the skin - unfortunately I cried out and Chloe fled. I gave her about 15 mins while I sorted my finger out and found her cowering under the sofa where she has been since.

Should I just ignore her? Offer her a treat? She seems to think I am angry but I'm not it was my fault for trying to hold on to her and I have a painful finger in return!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just leave her alone for a while. She'll come around. Talk sweet to her and wait.
When I go away for the weekend my kitty sits in front of me and just out of reach with her back to me. After an hour of this she hops in my lap and all is forgiven.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chloe is currently sitting on OH's lap but will not have anything to do with me! I will leave her alone until dinner time then she will talk to me again!

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I'm guessing that you cried out and it probably just scared her. Give her time. Bribery has been known to help too :lol:.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Talk to her and tell her how sorry you are. Yeah, I know she hurt you, but it was all unintentional. The treats is a good idea, and even the eye-blinkies. I would even go so far as to pick her up and cuddle her for a quick love and according to how she was behaving, either hold her for a bit of a snuggle or let her down and walk away from her until she was ready to initiate contact.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Especially if you do a slow-motion blink. That's 'blinkies' :wink:
It's one way of saying,"I love you!", in cat language.
:eek:rcat

·
Registered
878 Posts
When you talk to her, you can't let her feel how upset you are that *she* is upset. She won't hear *why* you're upset, just that you are. Talk to her as you normally would, but don't chase her around trying to apologize (learned this the hard way many many years ago, my cat wouldn't speak to me for a week!)

And yeah, treats are good but only if she comes out or walks nearby : ) Then be cool, be calm, be casual, be like "oh hai thar, u want treetz?", bet she'll take one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are all friends again! Thanks for the suggestions for ways of speeding up making friends after any future arguments!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts