Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this site because I definitely need help with my 8 month old cat, Casanova and his behavior.

Me and my boyfriend got him from one of my boyfriend's friends when he was 5 weeks old. We didn't plan on getting a kitten when we went over to his friend's house, but I couldn't say no to getting one. They weren't kept in the greatest of conditions, they were kept in a cluttered, and dirty garage with the mom, and all had fleas.
We were 6 hours away from home when we got him, and he did excellent the whole car ride. He slept on my boyfriend's shoulder the entire drive, so he has been a daddy's boy since day one.

Right away we noticed he was mean... but he was only mean to me at first. The only thing he does to me, and no one else, is he will pounce attack me out of no where. I will be sitting on the floor on the laptop, or sitting on the couch watching tv, and he will pounce on me, wrap his arms around my arm/wrist and bite me as hard as he can. If I move my arm at all, or tell him "no", he just bites even harder. I always have deep teeth marks in my skin afterwords, if no blood drawn. And the worst part is, if I get him off me, he will just pounce on me and do it again, and again. He only does this when my boyfriend is not around, or not close to me. And he attacks my head (over and over) when I am laying in bed by myself. He also "slaps" me in the face randomly. I will be sitting watching tv, or sitting on the bed and he will run at me full speed and smack my face with his paw and run away. He doesn't use his claws, though. He did this to my mom as well, when she visited. He does bite a lot too when he is being pet. He does this to my boyfriend, but as soon as my boyfriend says "no" he quits and gives him kisses (licks). When new people come over, he will hiss at them, and bite them if they pet him most of the time. He never has hissed at me, or my boyfriend though.

The other thing he does is, he pees on any piece/pile of clothing or towels on the floor. We have recently made sure nothing was left on the floor, and had to put our dirty clothes basket in the closet. We thought that would stop him, but now he pees and poops on our bed, instead. So we have to lock him out of our bedroom, and he just meows all night long as loud as he can. When he was around 8 weeks old he pee'd on our bed too, but we fixed the problem by moving his litter box into the bedroom at night.
We have a cat bed for him, and he has never pee'd in that. He still uses his litter box too, so I don't know why he is doing this. I thought after we got him fixed, he would stop. But he didn't. He will even pee/poop on clothes/towels/the bed right in front of us :?. When he does, my boyfriend tells him "no" firmly, shows him what he did, and then brings him to his litter box. We just don't know how to punish him so he will actually listen/care.
This is the first cat either of us have ever had that did this.

Any help would be great, we won't give him away no matter what since he is our baby. He is actually super sweet when he is sleepy. He loves being held like a real baby, head butts, head and neck kisses, cuddling, and he is very vocal so we talk to him all the time, haha :p.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sounds like his mommy didn't teach him any manners, so you'll have to do it.
His running and attacking you doesn't sound like anger to me (the hissing is anger or fear of course), but instead play. When cats learn to play gently they will do that, run up, wrap you with their arms and kick at you (no claws) and allow you to push back playfully.
When he runs up and attacks, I would probably scruff him, hiss at him and maybe pinch at his ear; nothing to hurt him, but just to make him uncomfortable and learn that his behavior is not okay.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I agree with Marie on the vet visit. After that is taken care of you can work on his behavior. Your cat was taken from his mom and siblings before he learned proper socialization. He is playing with you and doesn't know what he is doing is wrong. When he behaves like that you should say "No" firmly and walk away from him, ignoring him for a few minutes. If he isn't getting you attention he will learn not to do it, because that is ultimately what he wants from you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

It makes sense that he didn't learn proper manners, and is just aggressive when he plays/wants to play.
I always feel bad locking him out of the bedroom at night, so last night I moved his litter box into our bedroom to see if it would make a difference, and he used it instead of the bed. Does that mean he was just peeing on the bed/clothes because he didn't feel like walking to the living room and using his litter box?
Or could it be possible he was doing it for attention?
He is pretty "needy", he always follows us to a different room of the house, like he can't be left alone in a room by himself, and he will do things he knows he isn't suppose too just to get our attention. Recently, we went away for the weekend, and as soon as we opened the door when we got back, he started yowling constantly at us, and would not let us leave his sight. We also had to constantly hold him for the rest of the night. That was the first time we were away from him for so long, though.

If you guys think it could be something medically, I will schedule him a vet visit.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Please look at the link that Marie posted. They're saying that the peeing could very well be a medical issue- a UTI should always be the first thing you check when a cat is peeing inappropriately, because it's fairly easy for them to get one and it can be fatal if you don't catch it. Specifically ask the vet to run tests for a UTI.

As far as the behavior goes, that is actually expected behavior for a cat who left his mom and siblings that early. Kittens should be with mom until they are at least 12-14 weeks. At 5 weeks, he never got to learn any kitty manners. Their manners are learned mostly between 7-14 weeks during play with their siblings-their siblings let them know when they bite or scratch too hard. Also, since you only got one kitten, he never had a playmate. It seems like he recognized your boyfriend as the parent, so you had to be the playmate. What he is doing with you is play.

Of course he is needy- he was taken from his mom and sibs when too young, and never got a playmate. (Not faulting you for this- just trying to explain that he is lonely.) I wouldn't speculate on the reasons for peeing until you get him checked out with a vet for a UTI. If he has an infection, it hurts when he pees, so he tries to go on soft things, thinking it's the box that's hurting him.

Have you thought about adopting another young cat (3-5 months) so he can play with that cat instead of you?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did check out the link that Marie posted, but he doesn't have any of the symptoms of a UTI.

And yes, we actually thought of adopting another young cat, but I wouldn't want Casanova to bully him/her. Would a certain gender be better?

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
Maybe you missed this part (it was kind of buried in all the other information):

UTI's are painful and the kitty tries to find places to pee where maybe it *won't* be painful, like soft piles of clothes, bedding and rugs.
Your kitty sounds exactly like he has a UTI, peeing on your soft towels, soft bed, soft clothes. Cats will associate the pain of peeing with the litter box and will try to find other places to go.

UTI's can be serious if left unchecked, especially in male cats.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
I'm sorry if I sounded mean or anything like that. :(

·
Registered
600 Posts
I did check out the link that Marie posted, but he doesn't have any of the symptoms of a UTI.

And yes, we actually thought of adopting another young cat, but I wouldn't want Casanova to bully him/her. Would a certain gender be better?
As long as both cats are neutered/spayed, gender doesn't matter as much as personality. You would want to find a cat with a similar rambunctious, playful personality. I'm sure Casanova would LOVE to have a kitty buddy to wrestle with.

And as Marie pointed out, peeing on soft things is exactly a symptom of UTI. Even so, whenever there's an inappropriate urination problem, it is ALWAYS a good idea to make a vet check be the first thing you do, because a UTI can be so serious if you don't catch it. Your kitty has no way of telling you that it's hurting when he pees other than peeing outside of his litterbox. I'm so glad you're getting him checked out!

And Marie, I don't think you were mean at all. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, I don't think you were being mean, either. haha.

Thanks for all the help. Last night was night two of not peeing on the bed/anywhere else but his litter box. But I am still going to get him checked out just in case.

We plan on rescuing a young cat from the local Humane Society, so they will already be neutered/spayed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts