Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya - just wanted to run something past you lil beauties!

Dylan has also licked a lot since we got him at 13 weeks... He is now 4 and a bit months and still licks which isn't a problem, but he also bites a lot too - Not just fingers but a lot of paper, cardboard and plastic too it seems.

If he bites when I pick him up I tell him no and put him down and walk away and if he is biting something he shouldn't he gets a stern no and if he doesn't respond a no and the water spray.

When he went to the vet for his last Feline Leuk. Vaccine he did say he would start getting his adult teeth soon and his baby ones will fall out. So far no fallen out teeth have been noticed.

So is he teething or is he just a bugger??? lol!

Thanks
Hayley x x

**UPDATE FURTHER DOWN**

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I would assume he's teething. Still, it's best to not let him bite things he shouldn't be biting (like your fingers).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Spraying him with water won't work in this situation (it rarely does); the act is too distant from the water and he will not make the connection.

You are actually rewarding him for biting, if you look at it from his point of view. You pick him up, he doesn't want to be picked up, he bites, you put him down. Exactly what he wanted, and it's an immediate reward. Some cats just don't like to be picked up...so *not* picking them up is the best way to avoid being bitten and creating a worse situation and a more aggressive cat.

For more on why punishment is usually a bad idea for cats, see:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... tbehavior1

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't pick him up when he doesn't want to be picked up... for example he'll jump on the bed and meow at me until I stroke him but as I go to he'll grab my arm and bite it as if he is playing...

Sorry I maybe didn't exlain it properly

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I cant leave newspapers or cardboard boxes out when im in bed or not home, as when I get home/up they are ripped to shreds. (and my cats are over a year old)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE!

Ok all I just wanted to ask this, usually if Dylan looks like he is going to bite or anything I move my hand away but whilst half asleep the other morning I didn't and he just kinda sat there purring and gently chewed on each of my fingers, and kept moving his head forward quite far until my finger was more or less at the back of his mouth! As soon as I realised he was doing this I moved my finger because I didn't want to hurt him but he just kept trying to move foward again...

It was kinda like he was suckling but chewing at the same time - what on earth is he up to now?? :p

Hayley x x

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grrrrrrrr...

Discovered this morning that Dylan chewed off the strap on one of my vest tops while it was hanging out to dry :evil: not a happy bunny :(

He chewed it to the point that it appears his gums were bleeding a lil too so am a lil worried now :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
My kitten is 4.5 months old and she does the same sort of things that Dylan does. She's teething right now and tries to chew fingers, boxes, and wood, basically anything that will soothe her teeth. I'm going to see about getting her some toys specifically for chewing to see if that helps.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is he teething? When Dusty was teething, I used a tried-and-true baby method. I got a baby teething ring and put it in the freezer. He chewed away on it and numbed is poor little sore gums at the same time...

·
Registered
821 Posts
My cat Maleke is an OBSESSIVE bag chewer. He just gets in the mood for it, his eyes glaze over, and he goes to town! He prefers tougher plastic, like the kind that covers a case of water bottles. I took a picture of his latest addiction, and I will post it later when I get it developed.

Also, if Maleke gets REALLY affectionate when I am petting him he will bite me. If I move he bites harder, but if I just stop moving he lets go and I resume petting him. I associate these nips with love bites. I don't mind, I find it kind of funny. Cats are strange with the things they like to gnaw on.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all

Maleke sounds like Dylan in his chewing ways... I will have to find him some more stuff to chew on...

Yes he is teething, I checked his mouth a couple of days back and could clearly see at least one small tooth and the front of his mouth half through

I think someone told me they can teeth right up until 6 months or so

1 - 16 of 16 Posts