Cat Forum banner

Biting

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  minikin44 
#1 ·
One of my fosters is biting me when I touch her a certain way, basically anywhere but her face and head. She is very sweet and social, comes to me for petting, and seems to love having her face scratched, but if I move away from her face she turns and bites me. I am undecided as to how to interpret this. Is she just telling me to stick to the face, or is she getting riled up and wanting to play? She is around a year old and pretty playful.

#3 ·
I didn't know anyone had responded to this....she was a pull from a rural shelter. She was pregnant, had her kits in another foster home, then was given to me as a foster while her milk dried up and then i took her to be spayed. That's all I know. She bit me a couple times today when i was trying to look at her butt b/c I think she has a tapeworm, but I can't say I blame her. Still, I'm worried this is something that could get her returned in the future.

#6 ·
It sounds like she just wants you to touch only her head, so I would respect that. Some cats will nip or nibble if you stop scritching their cheeks, really just to say "I want more of that, don't stop", so stroke or scritch as long as she wants and let her show you by turning away she's had enough. I would doubt she would bite if you do this....let us know how it goes. Often cats react by biting by overstimulation and it's their way of saying "enough".

Reactions: MaumauTigerlily
#7 ·
I'm definitely now thinking it's a good touch/bad touch thing. Unfortunately I keep having to do stuff to her...I had to give her a pill last night and today she got silly putty stuck in her fur. She bit the crap out of me messing with the silly putty, but if I didn't get it all out I was afraid she would ingest it grooming. She left marks on my hands and arms from biting, but again I don't blame her with what I was doing. She also walked up at random and bit my big toe, but that I think was playful. Hopefully I won't have to do anything else to her and I can stick to petting her head and face, which she seems to love, and she can get more comfortable.

#8 ·
Wow, silly putty in the fur... that's a new one! Cats' curiosity really can get the better of them lol. Have you tried restraining her in a towel when you have to do something to her that she won't like, and/or having someone else help you? Keeping sharp claws down and an angry mouth away from you is always helpful. Binky is definitely a biter and the vet & techs use leather gloves with her. Tugs is not, and I've not had any problems with administering meds and whatnot to him. Bear is in the middle, cranky about certain things, so I've taken to getting my mom's help and swaddling him in a towel when necessary.

#9 ·
I have a vet appointment for her Thurs morning, caught her peeing on the couch a couple of times and I want to make sure she doesn't have a uti. I started wondering if she was having some sort of pain associated with that, and if that could cause her to not want her back end touched.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.