Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think all of my future cats will be black. I wear dark clothes and Razzle, who is grey and white, I end up with white fur everywhere especially on my clothes. It can be embarrassing in public. I don't care about the fur. It's other people who don't like it especially if they are not cat people. All but 3 of my cats have been black. I love black cats. I saw this kitty in the shelter and she was orange and white. She was such a sweaty. She has found a forever home but it was tempting but I reminded myself, no, white fur. I know the cat picks you but there must be lots of black cats that can pick me.

Kathy

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm going through this over the last year and a half. Zoe was all black. My whole wardrobe, bed sheets, & furniture were geared to having a black cat. Pedro & Apple are both very light coloured. There is fur everywhere and it's far too expensive to change everything all at once. Whew!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I've had grey cats and can't wear any thing black.
I agree you have to coordinate your wardrobe so that the cat hair doesn't clash.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
My 3 cats are black (with brown or black patches) so my work pants (usually dark) all show I have cats. I once posted a thread about it and adopted all the advice there, so things are a lot better now. I don't lay my work clothes anywhere in the house, I hang them up immediately and wear them straight from the hanger. I brush them with a lint glove before I leave for work, then in the office again with a travel lint brush. Still there are hairs, but a lot more passable.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
lol. If i saw someone in any office I worked in covered in cat hair, I think I might like that person. after all If a cat likes them they can't be all bad .. right..

yeah.. I invested in lint brushes also. Sherbet was a momma's boy and a light buff color..and he ALWAYS had to say "Have a nice day, see you tonight. Love you" or maybe it was "I miss you, stay home today" by rubbing against my legs just as I was leaving.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I've got a black cat and a semi-white cat... plus a white dog that sheds like mad! I can't win either way. I don't let the hair bother me.

It does help that I only wear jeans, they don't pick up hair too badly. It doesn't take long on clothing to remove most of the hair with a wet cloth, lint brush, or sticky roller... I've also heard about something new on TV where you just have to wet it to remove what's been picked up and that it stays sticky... wonder if it works. I also avoid wearing clothing that will get hair on it in the house. It's pretty easy to change a top before I go out/when I get in, or to throw on a sweatshirt or hoody when inside.

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
I've never really had a problem with cat hair on my clothes. I come home, go straight to my bedroom and shut the door behind me and change into my comfy clothes. And my girls aren't allowed in my closet. The last thing I do before leaving the house is get dressed. Problem (mostly) solved. My comfortable shoes pick up cat hairs like a freaking magnet, so I have lint brushes in my car, home and tote bag.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Yup I was geared towards black cats too...Maggie & Kobi's predecessors were also black or mostly black. Then I got Holly. Well there is one positive...I always know who brought up a hairball because Holly's are peach colored, Kobi's are black with with peach because he grooms Holly and Maggie's are all black. Bet that was more than you wanted to know...

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
That's how I can tell, too! :grin:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a cat and two dogs, and all three have long, black hair. While I do find lots of black hair on my carpet and furniture, I usually don't find too much hair on my work clothes because I don't do a lot of cuddling once I'm dressed and ready to leave in the morning. Besides, I have a little plaque hanging in my office that reads "No outfit is complete without pet hair."

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Yup I was geared towards black cats too...Maggie & Kobi's predecessors were also black or mostly black. Then I got Holly. Well there is one positive...I always know who brought up a hairball because Holly's are peach colored, Kobi's are black with with peach because he grooms Holly and Maggie's are all black. Bet that was more than you wanted to know...
Wow, another nuance of having more than one cat . . .

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the idea of using a wet cloth on my clothes and the cat. The trouble is that Razzle has kidney disease so he sheds a lot because he is sick. Yes i can tell by the color of the puck who has pucked (good i guess). If I hold Razzle and can't help but pet and message him the fur is everywhere. I guess that's the price I pay.

Kathy

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I'm fortunate. I know I'm going to get covered in hair the minute I get to work anyway, so I'm typically not worried about it. Its the odd occassion I'm going somewhere not animal related that its a problem. Like church. I will even make an effort to get the hair off then get to church and someone will be like, "hi, you must have pets!" I just can't win really.
The worst was the last time I went to the doctors office, my nurse was allergic to animals and I had come straight from work and was covered in labrador fur. She ran out of the room coughing. I felt bad but hey, there you go.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The most I've had was 3 cats in the house but I don't remember having noticable cat hairs on me. I do remember having the vacuum out in the living room at all times so maybe that was it or I just didn't care about the hair. I had 2 yellow cats, a black one and a semi long haired gray one but didn't have the black and gray at the same time. I wore scrubs all the time to work so maybe hair doesn't show too bad on them?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have given up on this - my two kitties are 70-90% white and my horse is gray. If it's not cat hair, it's horse hair. Just make sure you have a lint roller in your office and go over your clothes every morning. That helps just fine :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I can't win. Cap'n Jack the tuxedo, who's obviously black and white, sheds like mad. Most of my clothes are black so I get white hairs on me. If I happen to wear something else, then the black hairs show up. I just use a lint roller on myself once in a while. Everyone knows I've got two cats anyways.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I have given up on this - my two kitties are 70-90% white and my horse is gray. If it's not cat hair, it's horse hair. Just make sure you have a lint roller in your office and go over your clothes every morning. That helps just fine :)
I second this advice!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Regular bath and blow dry's will almost eliminate the shedding. And hairballs for that matter since cats ingest about 1/3 of the hair they shed. I have short-haired cats, that used to shed like beasts but once I became a groomer and started giving them monthly baths - very little hair, if any is on my clothes or furniture. Even my brother, who's allergic to cats, can stay at my house now :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Regular bath and blow dry's will almost eliminate the shedding. And hairballs for that matter since cats ingest about 1/3 of the hair they shed. I have short-haired cats, that used to shed like beasts but once I became a groomer and started giving them monthly baths - very little hair, if any is on my clothes or furniture. Even my brother, who's allergic to cats, can stay at my house now :)
This is interesting. I have always bathed my cats and brushed them out so maybe that is why I don't recall a problem with hair. People hair is a different matter. I think it's my long hair that destroys every vaccuum I get within a year. I just broke one Saturday as a matter of fact. I'm currently using my husband's shop vac. I'm open to suggestions on a new one.

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
I'd rather vacuum more often and brush my cats myself than put them through the stress of taking them to a groomer for unnecessary baths.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.