Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My all black cat, Billi is getting single white hairs all over. Is this normal for a 9 month old cat??? I mean, he is way too young to be getting gray hair, right? This started like a few months ago. He's also been getting split ends on his whiskers! :S

Hard to see with highlights, but you can see more on his lower body.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh good! Thank you so much for letting me know. I searched online to see if it was normal, but all I saw was old cats getting gray! And some said change in coat could be medical issues, so I wanted to know if others noticed this in their cats here :)

I'm relieved to see he's not sick or anything!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
my black cat did that too. she is all black with the teeniest little white spot on her chest. if her head is down, you can't even see it, but the occasional white hairs started when she was young. of course now that she's 16, all of her formerly black whiskers and eyebrows have turned white except for one or two.

she also has always had two hairs on her chin (curling toward each other, on opposite sides) that were white and really stood out. they look like catfish whiskers LOL.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Billi also has a micro-sized white patch (of about 10 hairs) on his belly. I guess it's not even a patch xD

I am curious to see how many white hairs he will have as he grows up...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good info to know. One of our kittens (almost 4 months) is black with several white hairs on neck and some other random white hairs that are barely noticeable. She also has ghost tabby markings (but not white at near roots-which someone mentioned would be smoke). I am curious if she will also acquire more white hairs over the years/retain her ghost markings. She has black whiskers and I found cinderflower's comment interesting about the black whiskers turning white! I wouldn't have expected that, but now won't be concerned if it happens...very interesting stuff. Curious what others who have black cats in their lives have to say on this.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
My tux has that, I've noticed a few more as she's growing up. (she's 10 mo.)

B.B. (my 13 yr. old) only ever had two teeny tiny white hairs on the top of her head by her left ear. Never any more, even to this day.

Now, whiskers are another story, she has one whisker that is gray... just one.
It has fallen out once, then everything looked normal (LOL) but it's grown back in again.

Makes her look like she has half of a 'foo-man-choo' (no idea how to spell it so its phonetic)
I call her "foo" sometimes.
She just looks at me with that look that says, "Idiot"

·
Registered
594 Posts
Lidkorish is all black, to the naked eye, but she has some white hairs, which I consider her identifying features. There is a tiny cluster of white hairs above her left clavicle that I would consider her 'birthmark'.

Probably nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My 10-month old Newton has a loose patch of about 7 strands of white hair on his chest, and several single strands on the rest of his coat. His mom has a much larger patches of white, so I know where he gets it from :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've got 4 black or mostly black cats. They've all got the random white hairs and all are increasing with age (they range from 16 months to 8 years old).

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My white and black cat has white hairs sprinkled through her black splodges. Apart from whiskery bits, cats don't really go grey like dogs (or us!!) and so having this happen at less than a year is just as normal as if it happened later.

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
I think it's common for black and whites. Our Billy started out sort of as a tabby but eventually turned into a true tuxedo and as he got older his fur developed a brown cast to it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Those white hairs are called Angel Kisses. I don't remember why. My little black cat has them, too. She also has a secret white spot, from reading this thread, seems like many black cats do. Hers is a crescent on her abdomen. I love it, but she is very stingy with it, hardly ever lets me see it, just a quick glimpse now and then when she does a flop and stretch. It's so sweet I'm just dying to kiss and nuzzle it, but she's not having it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I began reading about this online and the history is quite interesting (if true). Apparently, the genetic lineage of all modern black cats has been heavily influenced by superstition in the Middle Ages, when many pure black cats were killed, due to being associated with the devil and witches. White patches (no matter how small), called Angel's kisses (or Angel's mark), were the one saving grace, as they were considered to be 'touched' by God, so they were spared from death.

Hence, there is a larger population of black cats with white hair.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I began reading about this online and the history is quite interesting (if true). Apparently, the genetic lineage of all modern black cats has been heavily influenced by superstition in the Middle Ages, when many pure black cats were killed, due to being associated with the devil and witches. White patches (no matter how small), called Angel's kisses (or Angel's mark), were the one saving grace, as they were considered to be 'touched' by God, so they were spared from death.

Very cool info, thanks for that! I love historical bits like that. :)

I can easily see that being the case, but I have doubts that the all black cats (moggies) are being phased out unless they are pedigree. I've owned a half a dozen in my lifetime, all black, no tiny white patches. So I reckon there are still quite a few left out there, roaming our little planet :)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Stephano had one little smidge of white on his belly when we rescued him, looks like someone had white paint on one fingertip and touched his belly. Now, he is starting to grow a little patch of white on his side, by his leg, and it seems to be getting bigger. Other than that he is all black. When he is in the light, you can see tiger stripes under his coat too, and he has a reddish tint to him, but only in a really good light. Funny how our black cats are such a big mix of lots of different kinds of kitties.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts

Luckily, where I live there was a clear distinction between a gwraig hysbys (wise woman / wife) and a gwrach (witch) and so there was no real problem with black cats or prejudice against them - it's sort of random whether people think they are lucky or unlucky.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It seems like, besides what they're born with, damage to the hair folicles can also cause a color change. One of my guys came to us as an 8 week old kitten with a bald spot the size of a pencil eraser on his right elbow. He's a mostly black cat, but that patch of hair grew back entirely white. To this day (he's now 4 years old), it's white, though I'm willing to bet it was black when he was born. Perhaps normal grooming and licking can cause a hair to be pulled out ("traumatized") and grow back in white, and that would explain the random occasional white hairs??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts