Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?:

I have 9 cats. Two of them are barn cats. One of the barn cats and 3 of the cats inside have black specks in their fur under their chin. I am not sure if this is a bug or what the heck it is. I haven't seen it in the indoor cats before. (The indoor cats are strickly indoor cats). I don't think it is fleas but not really sure. I have been told by several vets that fleas don't live in Colorado????? I have never had problems with this before and it sure doesn't seem to bother any of them at all. No itching or anything. It almost looks just like dirt in the fur that is stuck to the hair. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
It might be a reaction to their food or water dishes. Many cats have a plastic allergy. A change to a ceramic dish might help.
I was thinking flea dirt when I saw the headline of your post. But flea dirt would be all over their fur, not just under their chin.
Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I can tell you what it is, with pretty good certainty......feline acne. Almost all of my cats have had this at some point.....Ashley has it severe, she always has at least a mild case :roll: The biggest cause of it is using plastic dishes to feed/water them. The dishes harbor bacteria, which causes an acne outbreak on your cat's chin. The best way to clear it up is to get ceramic/glass/metal dishes and see if it improves....most likely, it will ( unless you have a sruborn case like Ashley's :roll: )

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yep, feline acne...my big guy, Jack, has it all the time, and although it's more of a nuisance to me, he doesn't seem to care in the least. He hasn't eaten from plastic bowls in years, but he still has it. I think it's a very common feline issue.

Lisa :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cat Twinkie had feline acne before and it was scabbed up and pretty bad. It was gone for awhile but now a tiny speckle came back when I checked the other day. It helps to change to ceramic/glass bowls and wash them frequently too :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts