Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my kitties to the vet for their semi-annual exams. They discovered blood cells and bacteria in one of my cat's urine (taken from the bladder). He thus seems to have a bladder infection.

I am now worried that I may have been neglectful in some way that would have led me to notice the symptoms. I do remember thinking it was odd about a week ago that he went to the litterbox, left, came up on my lap for a minute or so, then back to the litterbox.

Is there anything I should start doing that might help me notice these problems sooner?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own a four year old male who was just released from the hospital because of Urethral Obstruction and he couldn't urinate on his own. When we got him to the vet on July 27 they put him under anesthetic and ran a catheter to relieve his bladder. When the urine came out if was full of blood. They did x-rays, bloodwork, checked for crystals in his urine, everything to find out why his urethra was blocked. Sadly they never found out what blocked him. On July 30 we did get to bring him home. He is able to urinate on his own, but there is still blood in it. He has to eat a special diet for the rest of his life to try and prevent this from happening to him again. He is just now starting to eat the special food...it took a while for him to like it, and he is still on med. I was lucky to have caught this in time, or we would've lost him. Things to watch for are - frequent trips to the little box producing little or not urine...trying to urinate outside of the box - like on the bed or piles of cloths...constant licking of the gentials *sorry I'm a bad speller* Those are things you can watch for. You can also keep your kitties seprate to make sure they are both using the litter pan. If you kitty doesn't urinate in a 24 hour period take them to the vet. I hope your babies are feeling better

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't beat yourself up over this TAsunder. Sometimes even the most obvious of symptoms can be easily overlooked. The timportant thing is you found it now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts