Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a five year old blind cat, Poppy. I adore her and she's amazing. We moved six months ago to a new build, so no previous animal smells. I have two other cats Milo (M, 5) and Mindy (F, 3). They've always just trollied along together. I expected a couple of toilet issues with Poppy when we moved but she was fine at first. Then she started weeing on the carpet by the door, and on two bags in my office. I took her to the vet and they diagnosed a UTI. Since she had strong antibiotics she's been pretty much fine. However, she's wet the carpet, and my bed twice and last night when I noticed it, cleaned my bed up as much as I could until I could get a new duvet and then tried to sleep, I heard her scrape the carpet and she's wet again in the hallway. I am absolutely at my wits end. I can deal with my brand new carpets as they're washable but my bed is a step too far. My dad said this isn't good for my mental health and I should have her PTS and I was fuming but now I'm not sure what to do.

I might add that she is a bit overweight as she doesn't play like the other two, and can't reach to clean herself. She deposits poop on my carpets but that's cleanable - it's just never ending.

I absolutely adore her but this is really, really affecting me - and maybe her? I'm worried I will hurt her.

·
Super Moderator
27,227 Posts
When cats have a UTI, they associate the pain with the litter box and will use something soft instead. Is she done with the medication or still taking it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When cats have a UTI, they associate the pain with the litter box and will use something soft instead. Is she done with the medication or still taking it?
That's really interesting as she will seek out something soft, ie a bag or a bath mat historically.

She's got another three days worth and they have kicked in really well.

She's not ever soiled the sofa (she is now banned from my room unless I am there) so she can't smell anything from before luckily. There is a puppy pad under the blanket just in case......

·
Super Moderator
27,227 Posts
Having a blind cat? That's so awesome, I can't even imagine how much love and patience this takes.

There is a litter that's supposed to help with this - Cat Attract.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having a blind cat? That's so awesome, I can't even imagine how much love and patience this takes.

There is a litter that's supposed to help with this - Cat Attract.
She's been blind since around 8 months. She's so amazing and special but overweight as she doesn't join in with the other two. I had to get Mindy three years ago as poor Milo was so bored on his own. It breaks my heart that she's missing so much but as long as she's happy, clean and healthy then I'm happy.

Thank you - I will check the litter out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts