Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13-year-old cat, Lilu, went blind almost a month ago because of a high blood pressure and it seems irreversible,
although she continues with eye treatment.
She has never been a playful cat, but now I think she is very bored and I don't know how to stimulate her (I'm quite worried). Considering her age, is difficult, any advice to make her life funnier? She really enjoyed playing with hair bands but now it is impossible. I've also tried rattle toys but it ends up scared. Someone in the same situation?

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Sorry to hear what has happened with Lilu. Since she really enjoyed playing with hair bands, you could insert one or two small safety pins in them so that when she tosses them around, she will hear where they land. Maybe worth a try?

·
Registered
20 Posts
We had a 10 yr old cat who went blind from histoplasmosis. He seemed to adjust to it very well and if you didn’t know him you would not know he was blind. He ended up having to have his eye balls removed due to pressure continually increasing in them. Once that happened it seemed his balance was a little off and it took him a few months to readjust. Once blind he no longer jumped like he used to but could still get on things like chairs, toilet lid that height. I taught him with sound. He used to like to get on the rim of our bowl style bathroom sink and drink water out of the faucet. By tapping the top of the toilet lid then placing him on it I finally got him to just get on the lid. Then I would tap on the sink and he would reach out and step over to the sink and somehow balance himself on the rim and get his drink. He also loved hair bands. I believe he found them by smell and even when he could not see he could find them and would play with them. He became so sensitive with his hearing and to how the sir moved around him. At times my husband would as quietly as possible lift his coffe cup to his mouth and Smudge would follow the cups every movement with his head. I think you need to give him lots of time to adjust and lots and lots of encouragement. Smudge got so good he could hear a fly and jump up and nab him out of the air while our other sighted cats just ignored it! Just give him lots of opportunities to develop his other senses, time to adjust and lots of love. Hopefully he will come around. Ours never did play with his brothers as much as he used to but he did lots of other stuff and always absolutely amazed us with his resilience. Good luck. It’s so hard to see them have to go through something like this and I imagine just like us humans there is a period of depression and loss they need to go through.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for all the advices. It really is sad and almost devastating to see your cat like this. I knew about the effects of kidney failure so I had been doing tests for five years to check that everything was fine (urine and blood) and suddenly, being perfectly fine, she went blind and the ophthalmologist told me about kidney failure and a high blood pressure when it has never been measured (I know this is not easy to measure an animal). She continues with her eye exams and leads a fairly normal life, given her situation, although she has not played again. I bought him a catnip that she played with for 3 seconds and then ignore it forever, hehehe. But we will keep trying

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have another question, someone is giving semintra to his cat?
I am having problems with this medicine because it causes vomiting to my cat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts