Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a large male cat (about 7yrs old) who has just been diagnosed with a blocked urinal - which I believe is *fairly* common.

He was admitted today after 2 days of sickness over the weekend - the first signs he has shown of illness.

The vet has just phoned and gave us the test results. They flushed a lot of fluid out, including blood, but she said that was quite normal. I cannot remember the names of the tests but the results were as follows:-

One test, the normal for a cat is 11(?) - ours was over 40
The other, the normal for a cat is around 100 - ours was over 900 :(

This to me does not sound good, but the vet would not commit to what she expects to happen. We are now beggining to fear the worst.

Has anyone had anything similar to these results (if you know what they mean!) - and what are the chances of survival?

Any help would be great,

Thanks, Paul.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If he survived the surgery, his chances are probably pretty good. However, without knowing what values the numbers refer to, I can't tell anything else about it.

Whatever else they tell you at the vet's, the most crucial thing to know is to NEVER feed this cat dry food again; chances of a recurrence are much higher on a dry diet. (Perhaps not surprisingly, I have never had a *skinny* cat develop a urethral plug, either!)

For more info: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=017

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dr Jean - thats a little more reassuring.

The biggest problem the vet said that if his kidneys have stopped working.

My biggest fear is the amount of time he has had the condition. He showed signs of illness late on Sunday night - he brought up all his food, yet that is not at all unusual for Johnny as he is sick a lot (bolts his food).

Monday, we didnt really notice any signs. He was sick a little - mainly bile, but was ok until Monday night when he was noticeably lethargic - he is normally very active. Then he started going to the litter tray and straining. Our female cat had JUST got over a stomach bug, so we assumed he had the same and arranged the vet appointment for 2pm.

Now I just hope it isnt too late :(

We are going to see him this afternoon, so hopefully I can bring you some news.

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

We have been to see him today and he looks so much better. Very alert and fussy and was dead chuffed to see us.

Of course, thats dangerous to think he will be OK now as the damage has been done internally...

I asked the vet if the readings of the results were common with cats in this condition and she said it was a very high reading, so still very much touch and go.

Thanks for all your thoughts, I'll let you know what happens!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just spoke to the vets receptionist and she said that the test results this morning were "very good, no excellent in fact" :)

They are taking the cafiter (spell?) out today and seeing if he can wee on his own.

Not sure if this means he will be ok still or not? The vet is going to call me later on, so I'll update then!

Rgds, Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Just got back from the vets again. He was very lively and just finishing off the worlds biggest dish of tuna (his fave!)

Vet said she has never seen such a dramatic decrease in readings of the 2 tests. She would have been pleased with a 50% reduction, but his levels are virtually normal within 2 days. Yet again, she said she had never seen such high readings in the first place!

The caffater has just come out and he has done a little wee by himself, but his bladder is still swollen - but it shows no more blockages. He has to empty his bladder as much as he can by himself now before they will consider letting him out. If he cannot wee by himself over the next few days, then they will re-apply the caffater for one more time - if he still cannot go... well, you can guess the outcome :-(

Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts - I'll update again tomorrow.

Paul.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More news today. Blood test has come back with strange results - no crystals in the urine?! Vets are a bit baffled, but say it could have been sludge or mucas.

The other causes could be stones or a bladder tumour...

I've been to see him today and he is very figity now and wants to come home. He has wee'd himself overnight which is good news, if he wee's again tonight, then he can come home tomorrow! :lol: Fingers crossed...

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, unfortunately not! He still isnt peeing properly by himself yet, though the vet said when she expressed his bladder today it was a lot easier.

They are seeing how he gets on overnight, before deciding wether to X-Ray for stones or a tumour in the morning.

Fingers very muchly crossed!

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, Johnny is home now!

Still very drowsy from the drugs and still not peeing properly, but the vets are happy from what they have seen.

Great to have him home! I've uploaded a picture in the gallery of him for you all to see!

Rgds, Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts