Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get blood for glucose testing out of Tuffy. The vet gave instructions on drawing the sample from his ear but that is not working very well. I'm not getting a large enough sample & he is being a BOOB about allowing it. ANY suggestions from anybody dealing with diabetes???

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi bkitty
I have a diabetic cat also, glad to see you are willing to home test, are you going to treat with Tight regulation? I would highly recommend joining a fourm for diabetic cats here is the one I'm a member of Diabetic Cat Care • Index page
there are people all around the world on this site, so almost at any time some one is there to help. When I started my cat (Mouth) was in DKA from diabeties, and now he has not had a shot of insulin scence 6-6-11.
Anyway to help get blood from his ear, Your cat’s ear will provide blood much easier if it is warm before you prick it. There are several ways to warm the ear, you can try them to see what works best for you. Some people use a clean sock filled with a half cup of rice – tied off with an elastic, heated for about fifteen seconds in the microwave (it should be very warm but not too hot for the cat, test it on the inside of your forearm first). Others like to use a soft washcloth dampened with hot water and placed in a plastic baggie. You can hold either one of these aids against your cat’s ear for about ten seconds or so, then check to be sure the ear is comfortably warm.
here is a video
I hope this helps and I hope to see you and Tuffy over on Diabetic cat care

1 - 3 of 3 Posts