Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the allergy testing shows I've spent $800 to be told Cleveland can eat nothing except bits of chicken. He's allergic to beef (any bit of cow)and rabbit (which rules out the most of wet foods as they all have animal derivatives in them), anything dairy (his rare treat of beloved cheese gone), wheat and cereal (there goes dried food too) I can only feed him chicken, turley, lamb etc if I know it's 100% and contains no bit of cow. I don't know what to do. The vet says he'll try and get me special food but it sounds like I'd be as well feeding him cooked chicken which I know isn't healthy on its own.
Anyone know where I can buy mouse burgers! Don't think he's allergic to that.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Try PetSmart - They do frozen bags of meat for animals. I don't know exactly what is in them but they have chicken, fish etc. You just cook the stuff up and let it cool before they eat it.

Hope this helps!

Hayley x x

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You could also try looking at some of the raw feeding and natural/homemade food sites...you might find some recipes there that might be suitable for cooked meat, as well as some ideas on some allergen-free vitamin supplements that might help to make up for some of the nutrients (like taurine) lost by cooking. I know for sure that I've seen some recipes for grainless cat food at places like holisticat.com.

I recently made up some food for a shelter kitty using cooked organic meat (we didn't think her immune system could handle raw), eggs, brown rice, oils, and some vitamin supplemets, and it wasn't too hard...granted, I have a lot of meat-grinding and processing equipment because we grow our own meat, but you might be able to find ground poultry or get the butcher to grind it specially for you (make sure they clean the grinder first to make sure no beef is in it), and a most or all of the rest can be done with a big bowl and spoon. It's easier if you can make up a pound or two at a time and freeze part of it.

I know that companies like Wysong (who make all-meat canned foods) don't sell in the UK because of processing requirements, but there might be some companies that specialize in organic and/or natural foods that may have something suitable for Cleveland. If, like DylansMummy says, you can find frozen meat for pets, you might be able to mix in a little veg and some extra vitamins and be able to give him a pretty well-balanced diet.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Misty: Defeinetly look into feeding him a raw diet!
It can be well worth it for him, even if he didn't have all of these allergy problems.
You can also look into the Meat Only canned food by Wysong, they have a large variety including Chicken, Turkey, Duck, Rabbit (I know), Venison etc. I believe a brand called Abady (sp?) also offers these same services.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks :D Was definately haveing a panic monent there, Just came off the phone from vet and thougt OMG!!!
Felt so bad though, to make him take his tablets for his skin I gave him them wrapped up in a teeny bit of cheese slice. I was making it worse! I'm going to talk to the vet and see what to do. I'm quite happy to cook meals for him and do anything else he needs.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Don't some of the prescription diets you can get from your vet fit the bill? I think some are venison and peas, and kangaroo and peas, or something like that. I'm sure there has to be a presciption diet you can use if you don't have the time to make your own food.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
What about this food:

Turkey & Barley Formula
Ingredient Listing:  Turkey, Turkey Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Barley, Dried Egg Product, Carrots, Peas, Potatoes, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Cranberry Powder, Flaxseed, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamins & Minerals

It's made by Eagle Pack. It's a pretty good food. I occassionally feed it to my cats and my little one is starting to get picky, but loved this food. It's juicy too. The big cans were $1.15 I believe at our local Pet Supplies Plus store.

Here's a link:
http://www.eaglepack.com/pages/ep_canned_cat.html

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I think barley is still considered a cereal grain. Do you have to feed this food because of those tiny little bumps on Cleveland's back legs? Do they get angry and sore? If he doesn't bother the bumps at all, I would consider not worrying about a special food because the reaction isn't really bothering him. I really hope you find something that works for the both of you!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is for the lumps on his leg. I'm going to check with vet what the full implications of them are. The vet is also looking for some food for me too

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I just hope the vet doesn't suggest one of those Science Diet foods. None of them a good foods, even the prescription ones. I swear they get commission or something!

Misty,
Try this link...you'll have to read through all the ingredients, but I thought I saw atleast 2 that would work.

http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem I have is being in the UK. Just wouldn't be practical to have food shipped to me. I'll still have a look at everything, hopefully come up with something.
At first I was really shocked at him being allergic to beef but as my hubby pointed out to me, you don't see many cats taking down a cow! I thought that was a great image, Cleveland in a field, stalking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts