Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MowMow turns an estimated 8 years old this year and I'm wondering when I should take him in for a baseline bloodwork panel.

I talked briefly about that with the vet and she suggested 10 but... that seems kind of old to me. Would it be wiser to start this year and have it done yearly so we have a good solid set of numbers to monitor as he ages?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
MowMow turns an estimated 8 years old this year and I'm wondering when I should take him in for a baseline bloodwork panel.

I talked briefly about that with the vet and she suggested 10 but... that seems kind of old to me. Would it be wiser to start this year and have it done yearly so we have a good solid set of numbers to monitor as he ages?
If you can swing the expense, there's no downside to getting baseline bloodwork done now and then again annually to keep an eye on any changes. There are plenty of 8 yr old CRF cats out there, so it's not too early to start monitoring.

Laurie

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, expense is relative. I'd rather give up my Sunday trips to the pastry shop for coffee/danish (whimper) and spend the 165.00 yearly than face HUGE bills should something happen down the line and possibly lose him.

I worked it into my budget and it looks like I can take him in late April or first of May to have it done. I'd do it now but after so long unemployed :p I had FINALLY saved up a few dollar..then blew it on his difficult boy parts last week.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I had FINALLY saved up a few dollar..then blew it on his difficult boy parts last week.
Ain't that always the way? I can't remember the last time I was able to save any money with this 4-legged crew of mine. In fact, I have, on more than one occasion, suggested to my vet that he may as well just build on a guest room for me. ;-)

Laurie

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to resurrect an older post but I had a question on this. After my OWN medical bills the cats got pushed back a few months but I'm just about ready to take them. What blood work should I request. The new vet indicated there were two tests. One is cheaper and she said a basic screening. There is a second more expensive that she said was more comprehensive but ont really necessary until he's a bit older.

What specifically should I request they screen for?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
You need to find out exactly what's included in each of the panels and how much they cost. Also, has MowMow had or does he currently have any medical concerns or symptoms? The answers to those questions will help you determine which panel to request.

Laurie

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing concerning. He eats well, I add lots of water to his food so he's hydrated, and his eliminate is always good. Just want a baseline for future issues and to make sure all is well.

Edited to add: He's got a history of urinary issues, but I doubt that a bloodtest wil help with anything there.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
now is better but i prefer to err on the side of caution. like laurie said, find out which tests are covered in each. i agree with having one that shows creatinine and BUN. and thyroid of course. it's really important to have that one when they're younger because sometimes the numbers look okay but the cat isn't, and sometimes they're off the rails. i know very little about liver tests, i honestly don't see how it could hurt to have a more detailed one though--it will show you where potential problems lie (and you know that already but it will be demonstrable) and you can probably make do with rudimentary ones if they consistenly show normal results.

it isn't until after 12 that you have to be more on top of it if you have a cat with known problems. my 15-year-old goes 3-4x a year, but a lot of times there are easier measures that can be taken early on. the others just go once a year (2 and 5--hopefully i have awhile? lol)

i know what you mean about things happening just when you get a little $. my cats have eaten a couple of vacations and one or two laptops, but that's okay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts