Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if Star and Lucky are gray and white or blue and white? The reason I ask is because Lucky's gray (blue?) is much lighter than Star, whereas Star's gray (blue?), from certain angles, looks almost black.

Help??

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Hmmmm....interesting question. I always thought blue and grey were used interchangeably, but I'm no expert on cat colors and patterns, so I'm interested in learning the answer, too. :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
That is a good question. When I look at Wallace he sometimes just looks gray and beige (he's a gray tabby-med/longhair). But in certain light, which I especially notice at the vet, he looks blueish(sp?) and apricot. So, I would like an answer to that question too. :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
There is no "grey" technically speaking. "Grey" cats are blue cats officially. So, a "grey tabby" is technically a "blue tabby" and a "grey and white" is technically a "blue and white", etc.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Another example of a "grey tabby" is a silver tabby of course ;) as I understand it silvers dark fur has more of a brown tinge to it in the light and a blue tabby would appear lighter overall with no brown.

·
Registered
572 Posts
A black silver tabby (commonly called just silver) is a "black tabby" with the silvering gene, ie. white fur that the bottom that gives the fur a silver color. A blue-silver tabby would be a blue tabby with the silvering gene, ie. white at the bottom. Then there's also red-silver, cream-silver, etc. etc. etc. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts