Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who feeds it?

A while back I had printed off several (WAY too many to be honest) $5 off $5 order coupons at Petsmart. I went daily and got several small orders. Mostly canned food.

I've never fed the Blue Wilderness before, and in general can't stomach the thought of paying so much money for a 3oz can, but they were on sale and I could buy 5 cans and pay something like $0.50 total. So I got a bunch.

I started noticing that the duck was much different than the chicken and turkey. It was a lighter color, almost "fluffy" compared to the more dense texture of the others. Then I realized it was just certain cans of the duck. This morning I opened one for each cat and had three normal looking cans and one of the softer, lighter, jucier food. It doesn't smell off, they eat it fine and nobody has had any GI upsets. As far as I remember it is just the duck, but I'm going to be paying far more attention to it from now on.

I'm just wondering if anyone who feeds it on a regular basis has noticed that there can be a big difference in look and texture from can to can?

I think I'm going to go out to my extra stash and sort them by lot number later today so that next time I feed it I can figure out if its only certain lots that are affected or if it seems to be an occasional can from each.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I feed the duck occasionally (not often since as you said, that's an expensive 3oz can) and I seem to recall it usually being pretty light and fluffy compared to the other (non BB) foods I feed. I don't know if I've noticed any dramatic difference from cat to can, but like I said, I don't feed it as often as other foods so I've never looked at two cans back to back.

I'm thinking maybe if some cans have more moisture in them it might affect how they look? In any case, I'll keep my eyes open next time I feed it.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This is what I'm talking about. All four cans are the duck formula, but the bottom right is obviously VERY different. (the can next to it looked like it had a big moldy spot on it that scared me until I realized it was just a very deep pocket of the jelly that forms around the edges).

The cats like the food, but I have to admit I'm not completely sold on it mainly because of this issue. I guess its worth emailing a picture to the company to see what they have to say? I would expect to get back a generic response though, not one from a real person.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Wow that is weird. Emailing them definitely couldn't hurt.

I'm not sure which of those mine usually look like. Unfortunately I've already got half a can of something else in the fridge for their dinner, otherwise I'd open one of mine and compare. Maybe I'll feed them some duck tomorrow so I can check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
That is really weird.

I've possibly had something similar with other wet food brands on very rare occasions. I make sure it hasn't gone bad and feed it to my cat even though it looks different. I kind of assumed when it happens that the tin wasn't sealed correctly or something and has lost some of its moisture over time, though I've never been sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts