Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reviews?

My cats are currently eating Purina Cat Chow, transitioning to Cat Chow Indoor- it has hairball help, somehow,(with my youngest foster eating Purina ONE Kitten), which I see now has a horrible ingredient list: Corn meal, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soy flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), powdered cellulose, animal liver flavor...

I don't think I really need to continue that list for Cat Chow Indoor. The Purina ONE is slightly better: Chicken, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), fish meal (source of DHA), whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, animal liver flavor...

Anyway, I was thinking of trying to switch them to Blue Wilderness, either Chicken or Duck (and Kitten for the baby). It's very expensive, but I've heard the more protein in a food, the more can be processed by the cat, and therefore, less litter box activity (ideally). I realize canned food would be better, but that would be even more pricey. A 12 lb bag of Wilderness is $34. We usually buy 14 lb bags for $14, so there would definitely need to be a visible benefit (such as less litter box activity and/or less stinky litter box activity, which would save on litter) for my parents to want to put out the money for it. I have 7 cats and 1 foster kitten, and the cats go through about a 14 lb bag of Cat Chow every 1.5-2 weeks, so with it being so much more expensive, they would have to eat less for this to fly.

I would love to eventually switch my cats to raw, but that will have to wait until I move out, and a few of the cats aren't going with me (at least 3 are, but 1 is definitely staying here with my parents.) My parents didn't seem to thrilled about the idea of feeding kitties raw, but they said we could possibly try a food like Wilderness and see if it made any of the above differences to make it worth the price change. On the upside, 3 years ago, before I started fostering cats, my kitties ate Meow Mix, which just about anything is a step up from (they went from MM to Science Diet Kitten, to Purina Kitten Chow, and now all of my cats are on Cat Chow, because everyone in the house except my one new kitten is older than a year old).

Does anyone have any good feedback on Wilderness or similar foods that are low in grain, as far as differences it has made in food consumption and/or litter box usage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I heard that Chicken Soup for Cat Lovers Soul is good when you consider both quality and price. You may want to take a look of it when you go shopping for cat food. Felidae is also something others recommended to me. They are not the very top quality, but definitely better than Purina and cheaper than Blue.

Also if you are tight on budget, you can try using wood pellets as cat litters. They are sold in home hardware stores/garden center stores, but people said it's exactly the same thing as Feline Pine non-clumping cat litter. It's 40lb for about 5dollars. For price like that, you don't need to worry about litter cost any more :)

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feed the regular line of Blue. It is slightly cheaper than wilderness and is very healthy.
Have you noticed a difference in consumption or litter box usage? Or have you always fed it? I would just think with the body being able to process more of it, less of it would come out and less would have to go in.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Another thing to consider, besides the litterbox difference, is that cats actually need to eat LESS of the high quality food to be full because it doesn't have as many fillers.

I feed a combination of dry and wet - for dry food my boy is eating Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, which is $10 for 6 lbs at my local independent store, and my girl is eating Merrick Before Grain chicken, which is $16 for 6 lbs at my local store. The BG is grain free and better quality than Chicken Soup, but my boy is extremely picky and won't touch the stuff. We have to feed him what he'll eat! It sounds like Wilderness is about the same price as Merrick BG is for us.

I can't compare the foods, because our cats have never eaten anything lower quality than Chicken Soup (which is good quality - my boy does great on it - it's just not the best.) But I do think part of the reason for less litterbox usage would be them needing to eat less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts