·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have two cats:

M - 6 years old male, neuthered
T - 10 months old male, intact

We got T when he was only 3 months old. We didn't have to introduce them for long, they were fine from day 1, even though the kitten was wary. The older cat is just the easiest going cat ever.

They share food, water, toys, beds, litter boxes... they sleep together. The older one grooms the younger one.

And today suddenly the younger one attacked the older one screaming bloody murder. And tho the youngster was the agressor, he lost some fluffs, the older cat is simply stronger. No one is hurt, but it was terrible.

I did separate them, the older just calmed down in minutes and wanted to come and check on the younger one, but the younger one screams at the door whenever the older one is outside.

He hid under the bed for hours and was frightened. Didn't want to eat, drink, use the litter box. Eventually he came to me and we cuddled and had some food, but stared at the door between every few bites. He is currently sleeping with me and my husband, and the older one is sleeping in another room with my parents and the dog.

And here's the thing. We are at our lake house - they have been here before. Our older cat wants to go out and we let him here because it's safe. Younger one wouldn't put a whisker out. So this happened some time after the older cat came inside after a stroll.
Is it possible that he smelled so different that this teeny didn't recognize his brother?

And what do I do?

They have to be in the same car (in crates) in few days when we head home. And at home, one would have to reside in the bathroom.

How to remind them that they are not enemies?

Plese help asap

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Yes it is possible your older cat "picked up some scent" that was unfamiliar when he was outside and your younger dog thought he was a different cat. This is not uncommon. Suggest you wipe both of them down with a towel/cloth that has been dipped and wrung out of hot water. Do it all over them both. Let them dry off then take another clean towel and rub it all around the scent glands of the younger cat from the sides of the mouth and under the tail, and then wipe this all over the older dog's head, back and rump above the tail. You want the younger dog to smell his own scent on the older one. You may have to do it more than once. Try and feed them treats together as close as possible. It appears your younger cat is more "high strung" than your older cat, since you mention how "wary" he was at the beginning. All the best and would appreciate an update.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts