Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice for my 10.5 months old savannah/mainecoone babies .I adopted the bonded pair 2months ago and realized quite quickly one was pregnant

The two are very close,groom eachother,sleep,play ,even letting the sister groom her the day of delivery.

A day before delivery Sasha(momcat)began treating sister Nala like she was her baby,attempting to pick her up/carry her by the scruff and heard her to the nes.

She became quite aggressive about it and poor Nala didnt know what the heck

I had to seperate them and after a day without the arrival of babies and the saddest cats meowing i brought them back together and watched carefully when almost immedietely labour began,where I did remove Nala from the room.
Kittens are now 2 days old and I am looking for advice on how to go about it,
Do I being Nala back into the room they both shared that now has kittens ....

Nala snuck n yesterday momentarily and sasha just looked up from her nest,it was actually nala who hissed.....

Any advice appreciated,I'm so sad for my girls

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
147 Posts
It may be hard, but personally I believe it is best to keep them separated, at least until the kittens have weaned. They are so fragile right now, and you don't want to risk hurting them. Mumma cat also needs to be as stress free as possible.

You can try putting blankets that Sasha has used around the house so Nala doesn't feel so alone and can get used to the kittens scent. Try to give her some extra attention and play sessions to make up for the separation. As long as Nala continues to eat and act normal, I believe it is best to keep them separated.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I agree with the above. It's not for very long. Once the kittens are a bit older it will probably be fine for them to be together. Meantime I like the idea of the blankets. You might even do a blanket switch, so each has the other's smell nearby.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts